PDA

View Full Version : Yet another HG related Question

Thomas95SC
02-07-2004, 04:43 AM
Yes I did a search on this. Im going to buy a 94 SC that has a blown HG. I pulled the dip stick and there was coolant in the oil. The guy said he was only a few blocks from his house when it blew. Its been sitting for about 3-4 months. It starts and runs. My question is, do I need to replace the bearings? Does the coolant ruin the bearings when its running or sitting there? If I do have replace the bearings, can I just drop the oil pan and access them from there or do I have to pull the whole motor?

35th T-bird SC
02-07-2004, 08:34 AM
If you were only a couple blocks away you should be alright. However, depending on your mileage you might want to do eveything now because it's not easy to pull these things apart and I only wanted to do it once. Coolant in the oil shouldn't affect your bearings just sitting their either. But over 100K you probably have copper color on all the bearings especially if they didn't run premium fuel over the years.

Randy N Connie
02-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes you will need to pull the motor to replace the bearings.

If I had anti-freeze in my oil pan,I would change the bearings.
With the milage I would change the bearings.They do not cost
that much.The gasket kit cost more than a set of bearings.

I had a blown head gasket on a 4 cylinder motor.Changed the head
gasket and the motor locked up about 20 days later.The crank was trashed.
So I had to pull the motor and put a v-8 in my Ford courier.

RANDY

Thomas95SC
02-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I cant change the bearings from the bottom? I live in a apartment complex so im really trying to avoid pulling the motor. I also dont have anything to pull the motor with so that could be a problem.

35th T-bird SC
02-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Wow, bad place to work on a car. Look at whats involved in getting that pan down from underneath and you'll freak. You have to pull the whole K-member off which would be a job for a car lift, not ramps in a parking lot. Plus you should check your motor mounts, they are usually trashed and are a lot easier to get to with no motor in there!

Randy N Connie
02-07-2004, 02:32 PM
You can drop the cross member to get the oil pan off.

You can rent or borrow a lift to get your motor out.

I think you would be better off to pull the motor.
So you can check every thing out.

YOU CAN just replace the head gaskets,but you need to be
a lucky person,It would be a gamble to leave the bearing
in.It depends how much anti-freeze and how long you
ran the motor.Anti-freeze is not a good lubricant.

RANDY

hockeydad2
02-08-2004, 04:58 PM
hi to everyone, i'am about to buy an sc with blown headgaskets. when you guys say, " replace the bearings " did you also have the crank reground? also did you replace both rod and main bearings? thanks bob.

35th T-bird SC
02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Yes you do them all together, at least that's the right way. Mine were all worn bad. (Main and rod)

Thomas95SC
02-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I have to regrind the crank? I thought you just installed the new bearings and thats it. What else needs to be done?

35th T-bird SC
02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Well it depends on how your crank looks and measures up. I didn't touch mine it was like new. However definitley do the plastigauge readings for your oil clearances.