P/S Pump Pulley Bolt??

BobGPz

Stupid question, but I'll ask anyways...
I'm pulling the P/S Pump Pulley and notice there is a 3/8" allen bolt in the center. I would assume that this has to come out BEFORE using the puller tool? So how do I keep the pulley from spinning while loosening bolt? I have searched the threads and no one refers to this allen bolt.

The pulley is pressed onto the pump shaft. The allen fitting you are referring to is a part of the shaft itself. It doesn't come out. The way to remove the pulley is with a pulley puller tool which you can borrow from most parts stores. The only time the threads in the inside of the shaft are used is when the pulley is being pressed back onto it. It'll be clearer when you go to use the tool.

These pics may help out:

ps1.jpg

ps4.jpg

ps6.jpg

The two split halves of the tool go on the end of the pulley with the threaded part inside. Then the ring goes on the outside to hold the halves together while pulling. You really need the tool to do the job.

Yeah, I figured it out and got it off. Seems like there should be something to hold it in place once it is pressed on, but parts guy said same thing as you guys. My old mopar had a retaing bolt as well, just like the harmonic balancer on our SC's. Thanks for the help guys! Now to search for some tips on a stubborn Drivers Top portion of the motor mount. Seems as there is a bolt left and don't see one. I pulled out two/engine block and 1/through bolt.

I bought the exact same puller as that one Gldii.

Now the next question you're going to ask is how do you press that pulley back onto the shaft?

Same tool. It should have came with a threaded rod and a nut that allows you to press the pulley back onto the shaft.

Make sure the shaft is clean and clear as well as the bore of the pulley.

Mike, you are psychic!:D
Actually the kit I got was the cheapy ($20) instead of the $65 kit. It did not come with an extra bolt...UGGHH! Going to have to find out what size/pitch the threads are and pick one up from Hi-School Pharmacy..(Our local hardware store)...

US Standard bolt I'm pretty sure. Pickup some threaded rod, a GR8 nut and a couple beefy flat washers.

You hook the removal contraption back onto the pulley and then slip the bolt through the center of the tool/pulley and thread it into the snout of the pump. Then slip one washer down, cover the top with grease, slide the other washer down, the thread the nut down.

Then with your hand tools start cranking down on the nut to press the pulley back onto the shaft.

The purpose of the two washers and the grease is to make it easier to turn. The nut is going to try and dig into the top washer. The lower washer is going to dig into the tool a bit. The grease allows the two washers to slip against each other so you are not wasteing all your effort overcoming that friction.

At least that is how I'm going to do it if I ever have to again. My kit only had one washer and I could tell I was fighting that friction when pressing the pulley back on.

After a number of times of borrowing one from Azone, I finally just paid the $30 or so and bought one of my own. In the picture, the bottom assembly removes it, the top one installs it. Since you have to pull the pulley to more easily remove the pwr steering pump bracket, and since the bracket has to come off to remove the lower IC tube and since the lower IC tube has to come of to do just about anything at all on the driverside of the engine, I figured it was a necessary tool. Here's what it looks like: (baby to hold tools available for additional lifetime fee; consult wife. ;) :(

Attachments

• puleypullersm.jpg
    puleypullersm.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 174
PS pump eletrical failure?

I was driving down the road today and I lost my ps pump. A large bolt broke off. Moments later the car died and I have been unable to get it started. Is there a safety mechinism build in to make the car not want to fire?

Specifically what large bolt broke off? What was the bolt supposed to hold?

Do you have the upshift light on while you are cranking the engine?

ArAnetta, it sounds like you threw the balancer on your ride. I would not try to start it if this is the problem. Did the car run when you lost your power steering? It sounds to me like you threw/lost the main pully on the crank.

Bought a 3/8"-16 X 2 inches long bolt and a crud load of washers and just wrenched it on. Came off a heck of a lot easier than it went on.

Aranetta...are you sure it was the P/S Pump bolts? Can you take a pic and post it? Need to be more specific.

BTW I find it very odd that there was NO bolt to hold my P/S Pump Pulley onto the shaft. Hmmm, oh well.

Power steering vs. serpentine belt

Is it possible that if the ps pulley froze up that it would not give the engine enough spin power to turn the car over?

I'm not sure what this bolt is for.. as soon as can get a pic snapped I will

Start a new thread for your problem ArAnettA so more people will know to help.

Don't need a bolt to hold that pulley on. As you found when cranking it back on. The interference fit does it all.

Didnt check to see if a new thread was started but. Pull the acc belt off. If its frozen up the car will start sithout the belt. Your check guages light will be on i think.

Back