tires-n- stuff

ThunderDave

I'm looking at getting some tires for my SC. They are Goodyear Eagle with the z rating. 245/50ZR-16. Just wondering if anyone has used these tires before and trying to get an idea on how they will perform.

Also, when I start it cold, it usually fires right up. When I start it warm, it has to turn over for several seconds before cranking up. Sometimes it's sounds like it might not start, but does. I'm going to replace the fuel filter and see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas about what might cause this problem?

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Sounds like the classic symptoms of a starter going bad. I would be shocked if changing the fuel filter did anything to correct the problem.

Thomas

starter?

The starter turns fine, it seems like it's not getting enough gas to start and sometimes I give it a little and it seems to help it start. It starts fine when the motor is cold and when it's warmed up is when I have the problem.

David

super91coupe said:
I'm looking at getting some tires for my SC. They are Goodyear Eagle with the z rating. 245/50ZR-16. Just wondering if anyone has used these tires before and trying to get an idea on how they will perform.

Thanks,

David

Which model of Goodyear Eagle are they ? Almost all of their performance tires are called Eagles. Some are good, some are not so good. Eagle HP ? Eagle RS-A ? Eagle F1 GS-D3 ?

Let us know, and we can give you a more accurate response. ;)

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

tires

They are Goodyear Eagle RSA 245/50ZR16. They came off of highway patrol Camaro and have very few miles on them.

David

The RS-A Goodyears aren't bad, but they have been around for a while ... since the mid-90s I think. Tire technology improvements march forward pretty quickly. New, they are a high-priced tire, there's better stuff available cheaper ... but if you can get a good deal on them, go for it.

I drove a 98 Z28 equipped with those as original, they weren't bad for an OE tire. Noisy when pushed on, as many of the performance Goodyear tires are, to warn people from getting in over their head. Decent amount of grip, had the car out on the track at Watkins Glen during a comparison with some similar cars, and the tires did a reasonable job. For a street tire on any SC, they should be just fine ... not too loud or stiff, can't comment on their wet grip though, didn't experience that during my time in the Camaro.

Here's a link to some info of Tire Rack's site:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...earch=false&partnum=45ZR6RSA&fromCompare1=yes

cheers,
Ed N.

tires

Thanks for the info Ed. I see that new they are high priced. The ones I'm looking at have 7/32-9/32 tread on them. I was told new they have 11/32 tread. I bought 2 used bridgestone potenzas from a local tire store for the rear just because the ones on the car were almost worn out when I got it. I'll be able to get these 4 goodyears for what I paid for the 2 bridgestones and the tread on them wasn't that good.

Thanks for the help.

David

super91coupe said:
Also, when I start it cold, it usually fires right up. When I start it warm, it has to turn over for several seconds before cranking up. Sometimes it's sounds like it might not start, but does. I'm going to replace the fuel filter and see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas about what might cause this problem?

Thanks,

David

How warm do you mean when you say warm starting?? Could be the gas in the lines got hot enough to vaporize so it takes a little bit to get liquid gas to the injectors??

starting

Like if I have been driving it for half an hour or so and it's good and hot and I stop at a store for something, when restarting it, it takes a little to crank. It doesn't start right up like it does when it's cold. Could there be a bad sensor of some sort?

David

starting again

Just in the last few days, I've noticed that it is becoming harder to start when it's cold too. Any ideas???

Thanks,

David

Re: starting again

super91coupe said:
Just in the last few days, I've noticed that it is becoming harder to start when it's cold too. Any ideas???

Thanks,

David

When was last time you changed spark plugs, and is your DEI have enough heatsink compound on it?? Also might try some injector cleaner.

starting

I just did the head gaskets about 600 miles ago and put in new plugs(motorcraft plats) and new ford wires. What is the DEI? I haven't put any injector cleaner in it yet. Is there one that is specified because of the blower or will any do?

Thanks,

David

Is your car doing any better yet???

I have the same symptoms. Usually does it when warm, but occassionaly when cold-starting too. Also doesn't do it on EVERY warm start, just every 5th time or so, about every few days back when I was still driving the SC (damn ABS!!!). I'm thinking DIS, I bought a used one but haven't gotten around to putting it in yet to see if that's the problem. The way I do things, I probably won't worry about it until that first time it refuses to start and strands me, and then I'll get pissed and blame the car for "just breaking without any notice":D .

Matt

Re: starting

super91coupe said:
What is the DEI? I haven't put any injector cleaner in it yet. Is there one that is specified because of the blower or will any do?

Thanks,

David

Is your car doing any better yet???

Sorry, meant DIS. As far as injector cleaner, I recomend the Lucas fuel treatment, or put in some Marvel Mystery oil. I've had the best luck with either of those two. And since you put it in the gas, shouldn't affect the SC any.

As far as my car, the check engine light doesn't come on anymore, and it idles smooth, but still not as strong as it should be.

starting

I thought about the fuel pump might be going bad on it. When it gets good and hot, it buzzes like a mad a** hornet in a can. I guess to determine if it's the fuel pump I'd need to check the pressure. Is there a way to check the DIS without having another one to switch for it?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!!

David

Hello

Hello,
If your fuel pump is making that kind of noise it would be a real good idea for you to change it.
I had a brand new pump make that noise after 1k and the next day it just stopped working.
Laterz,
D Rainer

pump

It only gets loud like that after the car has been running for a while. The weird thing is I was sitting at a stop light Wednesday morning and it just cut off. I cranked it back up and it's run ok since then.

Any ideas what would cause that? Maybe I'll replace the pump, filter and DIS just to make sure I cover everything.

David

Pump

Hello,
If you have the stock pump an upgrade is always nice especally if you plan on more mods.
Your problem also may be in the IRCM. One of the things it controls is the pump. I had a bad one that would not turn on my fan at the right temp, and kept the fuel pump running even when I turned the car off.
Good luck man.
Laterz,
D Rainer

Back