Oil priming question

35th T-bird SC

When I start this thing, I'm thinking of cranking the starter until I see pressure on the gauge. I want to pull the harness out the coil so it won't start. Is this a reliable way of disableing the ignition? or should I pull the plug wires off the spark plugs and do it that way?

That will do it. However, you need to also push the gas pedal to the floor so it does not flud the engine. That shuts off the injectors. You can also mark and pull out the cam sensor body (cant remember what its called) and turn the drive shaft from there with a drill and a 1/4 drive socket (cant remember what size the shaft is either). Then you will have oil to the top and should be in good enough shape to start it up. Your call.

this is what i did, and i heard about it in another post. Put the egine at 26* ATDC, then pull out the am sensor. Use one of those paint mixers that mount the an electric drill for mixing paint in buckets. Cut the mixing head off of that. Its a peice of hex rod, 5/16" ,and it fits perfectly in the oil pump gear. Just stick it down in the timing cover until you get it to the oil gear, then mount it in a drill and go in reverse. You should feel it dragging....which means you have oil pressure. Worked like a charm, and i wa able to get about 55psi with just the drill before i started the engine again.

if you don't want to do the drill thing. pull the plugs and the fuel pump fuse then spin the motor over with the starter, it won't take long to build pressure.

that would work, but the whole point of priming the pump is to build oil pressure without turning the crank in the fresh bearings without a good oil supply. Just my two cents.

Yea but isn't that what all the thick assembly lube was for? On the crank bearings. I just don't see how I have room to get a drill in there with the blower and thermostat housing all in the way. Plus I have that cam sensor positioned perfect and didn't want to mess with it. The haynes manual says to take the plugs out and turn the starter too as well as pull the fuel pump fuse. But I'm open to suggestions.

Back