View Full Version : Radiator hose question

02-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I've had to refill my coolant a couple times in the past few months and figured I might have a leak. Look under the hood and sure enough, one of the hoses looks like utter crap.

It's so bad that you can tell the previous hose is fused on/corroded and the previous owner just put a larger diameter hose over the whole thing and clamped it down again.

I can put one of these on myself - it's pretty straight forward, but here's the question. I've got a 95 sc auto, and if you stand at the front bumper looking at the engine is that hose that connects to the top left corner of the radiator the 'upper coolant hose' or the 'bypass hose'?

MIKE 38sc
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
That is the upper coolant hose.:)

02-08-2004, 07:24 PM
The large fat hose that connects the engine to the radiator on top is the upper hose. Since your gonna have the fluid out of it I would change all of the hoses. Now is not the time of year to do it the cheap way. Also, if your going to change your lower hose, You might think about putting new belts on. The hose runs through the acc. belt.

02-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I think I'll swing by the store on the way home and pick one up.


actually the belts were changed about 6 months ago. they were in horrid shape too but I could only do one thing at a time