power steering pulley failure?

ArAnettA

I was driving down the road the other day. This bolt broke off. It's about a 1/2 inch bolt with the numbers 109 on it. As soon as the bolt broke the car died. Is it possible that the pulley froze and the belt isn't moving right causing the car to not start?

Are you sure the bolt that broke is out of the steering pump pulley...or is it from a tensioner? The steering pump pulley does not have a regular bolt/bolt head, its a rod coming out from the pump where the pulley is just pressed into. Im thinking maybe its your balancer bolt that snapped off. Thats not uncommon on these rides.

That is the crank bolt - You need a new harmonic balancer.

The balancer is what actually breaks the bolt and then then "walks" off the crank snout. When the balancer moves forward, the vanes no longer engage the crank sensor leaving you with out spark.

This is a weekend job and will cost you about $300 for parts. Check the crank sensor real well to see if it has been damaged, if there are any signs of rubbing then replace it as it will fail at the worst possible time.

You can also go with a BHJ balancer but will need a zero balanced crank pulley to go with it.If you have underdrives then the crank pulley is already zero balanced. You can have your stock pulley balanced, but the BHJ balancer is MUCH heavier than the stock unit so having an aluminum pulley brings the total back to near stock. Cost is much higher but the BHJ is what you want if you plan on doing a lot of mods.

Aaron

Yikes thanks

Wasn't looking forward to throwing any more money in to this car but thanks for your input! You are person #3 to give me that answer so I will run with it!

Back