4r70w gears to aod?

theonethestunna

i have an aod and going to buy some gears from 4r70w or aode. can anybody please help and let me know what are the other thing that i have to change to make this gears work, or at least give me a list of what i need to change on my aod thx if you can call 1-505-934-1572.

Easiest way to do this is buy the wide-ratio kit from Ford Racing Performance Parts. That way you'll have what you need to install everything in one package.

M-7398-D Transmission Upgrade Kit-AOD Wide Ratio-

From McCarville Ford the price is $562.50

"Provides drag racers with more acceleration, and tow vehicles with more pulling power without changing axle ratios. Increased torque capacity!

Features:
HD wide ratio gearset
- 1st gear ratio increased from 2.40 to 2.84.
- 2nd gear ratio increased from 1.47 to 1.55.
- High RPM caged needle pinion bearings.

HD low inertia 6-plate high clutch assembly.
Low inertia reverse clutch assembly.
HD wide OD band.
6000 RPM intermediate one-way clutch.
HD 4-plate intermediate clutch. Improved lube forward clutch hub. #2 thru #9 needle bearing thrust washers (improved #5, #9 and #7 support washer).

Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles."

I would also recommend the HD rebuild kit from Transmission Exchange Co in Portland-that way you'll have all the parts needed to do a full rebuild on your AOD.

Last edited:
A local transmission shop is currently swapping the innards of a low km 4r70w into my AOD and is replacing the worn parts. We need to keep the output shaft from the original tranny since the 4r70w won't mate up. You may want to get a new valvebody, one piece input shaft, and torque convertor while you are at it.

As you can see, to strengthen and improve the performance of the tranny, the dollars can quickly add up. It's better to go with new parts but if you have a tight budget and can get a good 4r70w core from a wrecker, you might want to consider this option.

Good luck with your project.

Let me know what you want to do about the seals and all that-I have access to a company that will ship COD, and they have good prices on the soft parts.

Back