How to unclog AC condenser?

bigcletus94

ac.jpg

My trans/steering cooler it mounted in front of the AC condenser (I think that is what it is called) and it is caked full of gunk. That can't help it cool very much. Can this be cleaned? Can I clean it without having to take it off of the car? Thanks.

What did you drive through? I thought mine was the dirtiest one I ever seen till yours come along. I dont know if you can clean it without removing it. Most of the time you need to remove the rad and blast water from the engine side through the condensor towards the front of the car, if you shoot the water the other way you will blow that stuff deeper into the fins. I bet your car is running warmer.
Let me give you a little advice since I work on radiators and see this alot. Those push pins you installed your tranny cooler with, GET RID of them. Make you some brackets to hold the cooler.
Those push pins wear holes in rad tubes or condensor tubes over time, I've seen a lot of it and got alot of work just because of those things.

I don't know if I drove though a swamp or if I had a leak on the tranny cooler that sprayed fluid over everything and then all the dirt stuck to it.

Those push pins are cheesey, but I didn't really have any other option. They came with the kit and the cooler doesn't have any mounting tabs anywhere on it. I wish I never had installed that damn thing but now since it has caused me so many problems not to mention this mess.

Do you know how the condenser comes out? Will all of the A/C fluid leak out?

You have to remove the radiator in order to remove the condensor and yes the gas will be gone. That stuff looks like rubber dust or driveway sealant? :confused: But if you think its just oil and dirt get you a can of Gunk engine cleaner and spray it all over the mess. Soak it down real good and let it set for about 10 minutes then hose it off, if its just oil and dirt it will be clean after you Gunk it.

Dang! Your car looks like you been using it as a front end loader. In the 22 years I spent in the Army, I never saw anything that bad, and some of there equipment lives in the dirt. I would try some of that Green stuff they use to clean dirt bikes with. If that does not do it, it's time to pull it all and do it.

..."Simple Green Concentrate"? That works great on small oil build up and shining up the engine but, I think you need something a little more powerful like Gunk for that thing..

If looking for something strong to remove dirt from condensor
coil.then take a trip to a A/C supply house and get a chemical
called NU-BRIGHT.Follow the instruction the stuff is very strong.
You will need to move the trans cooler away from condensor
and spray the cond coil.The stuff will foam and when the foaming
stops, then rinse.Your cond coil will look brand new.In your part
of the country the supply house i would go to is name
UNITED REFRIGERATION.

P.S. Keep chemical away from painted surfaces

Back