PDA

View Full Version : handling sc

aitkenstyle
02-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I wanna get a 5-speed sc and i wanna make it a road track car to take the turns and stuff... are there any good companies that make good parts for our IRS?

lrsudog
02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Urethane bushings from MN12 performance, anti sway bars from Addco, springs from H&R, shocks from Koni, 12"brakes from KVR, Suspension & chassis braces from Kenny Brown.

More then that, You better know how to weld.

92strokedbird
02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
+If you can weld you might want to read this http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

lrsudog
02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Yup, what Steve said.

This is what it will end up looking like;

Doug Franklin
02-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Some of us are looking at this. Maybe a tube rear member in future.

So far the most all out road racer is being built by Mansier. Look in the Racing Track results forum under Before picture raod racer.

You need at least the Valvoline brake fluid in the big gold bottle. You can get some R-4 Porterfield pads for track only. R-4S is for street/track but don't last long. Also drilled rotors chew them up so some have gone back to smooth rotors. At least this for stock brakes. Big 13" rotors and multi piston calipers with 17" wheels as a min when you can.

Now don't forget about keeping things cool. The engine will heat up after a few laps. This is not drag racing and its over. Heat is your enemy. You need a good radiator. Also at least get a fan on a stock IC, IMHO. If use AOD get a cooler.

Open the exhaust as much as you can afford. At least open or cut off the resonator. If you can't get headers then open the lip on manifold. Tbird88 does that. I would suggest his IC tube seals as well. The back pressure on the exhaust will work on those HGs and engine with this duration of hard exceleration.

Get as much weight out of the car as you can. If you cant afford springs then cut them to lower to what ever height. Less weight and the car rises anyway. If you cannot afford ADDCO bars then use 89-93 bars because 94/95 are smaller and makes a big difference on the track. If your track broadcasts on a radio frequency tha by all means keep the radio.

Forget some of this stuff if your just talking Auto-Cross.

I've run a pure stock SC with street tires, both 5 spd and AOD. I like the older SC in stock form. It surprises everyone how well they handle. Will let you know after I get all the mods on one.

I could not stay up with RussellR very long with his bigger tires. He now has big brakes.

PS: Kinda depends on how far you want to go orwhat you can afford. But for low budget keep it cool and bleed those brakes after each session. I see now looking at your member page you got the exhaust on the way. That is good to start there. Mike38SC has a new aluminum radiator I bought. Need IC cooler now. Later

quick35th
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Autocross is a very additive sport. Yes the SC does haddle fairly well (well maybe one with good bushings and shocks, not mine for now at least) for stock. Probably the most important thing to have is a good set of tires. The ones I ran on last season are just plain jain tires that dont hold to the road if their lives depended on it. Lets just say that they were holding me and the SC back last year. I realized how much of a difference performance tires makes when I raced my late Mustang GT with Hoosiers on it. They were used tires that I had got for free and the difference was like night and day. It was like all of a sudden I could turn the car. I cant wait till this year starts back up so I can see what Hoosiers will be like on the SC.

On the brakes side of things, for autocross all you really need is a good set of pads.

Shane