not sure whats wrong

protoadies

i got a problem with my 94sc i have a really bad hissing or howling sound comming from the top of the engine. at first i thought a belt tensioner but they dont seem loose at all. idle is fine, temp etc... all seem fine but a really really embarasing sound also it feels like i have no boost the top of the supercharger has a little oil comming out the gasket tighted that up. still a hiss any ideas i looked for air leaks cause i really dont think its the belt but couldnt find any. sugestions

Check the vacum hoses on the intake and intake elbow. Mine made a bad hissing sound when I did the HG's. It was the vacum line on the intake in the back. Can't remember what it went to. I put it on, and it went away.

First off what were you doing when you notice the hiss for the first time?

Ok. Now you said that you looked for air leaks and that you didn't find any. Well I would take off the sc top and put some rtv on it. I had this problem before with my old SC. The previous owner had stripped the threads out of both driverside bolts that hold the sc top on. So one night of extreme abuse and high speeds it blew the seal. I noticed it when I let off the gas. It made a humming kind of sound from the inside of the car and it sounded like a jet engine when I shut it off. It ran like crap because of the major leak. My dad found the leak under the sc top's throat or neck and I redid the seal and everything was all better.

Hope this helps!
Shane

ok well i guess it started last week when we got our first really bad snow, well i got off work at 8pm snowed all night hella bad then around 2pm to go to work following day started car and then it started with the whineing sound. i let the car sit since then started it up today to see if i notice anyhthing. i replaced the waterpump about a week prior to the snow fall. thats it.

well figured out what the noise was. not sure how it happened but it did. My collar nut think thats what its called that connects to the sc top was spinning freely so all the air was blowing by it. used some really big U clamp and tightend it up now runs like brand new...... thanks for all the help and sugestions

Good job protoadies on figuring out what was the matter with your car. That is pretty weird that the collar nut just came loose by it self.

Shane

Back