Locking Crank for Pully installation?

SlinginBeauty

Im about to change out my pullys for my ud set and have everythihng(pullerset and all) but dont know how to take out the crank bolt if without turning the crank. How do i lock it up so i can remove/instal the crank bolt without turning the crank. All help is appreciated. Thanks. Zach

Correct, if you just put the car in gear than the crank wont turn, or you could just use an impact wrench.

Shane

Or if that doesn't help with your auto, than you can lock up the torque converter. Not sure how to do this, but I am sure it has been mentioned before or someone will post with the info.

Shane

But how would you be able to tq the bolt to the 120lbs without having the crank turn? Putting it in gear locks it up so i can do this? Zach

Putting it in gear does not lock the converter. The easiest way is to jam the head of a ratchet, 1/4 or 3/8 whatever fits, in the inspection hole as the drain bolt is showing. Its much easier if someone turns the engine while you jam the wrench in place. I learned this by using the search feature. Works great.

What woked for me is to run some bolts in 2 of the 4 holes that hold the crank pully on and stuck a bar though them and against the shassis. I had some hard bolts that fit from my puller set that worked. The pully mount bolts would be to short and if you only screw them in a few turns thy'll bend.

You don't need to remove the center crank bolt to install underdrives on an SC. Just take out the 4 outer bolts and the pulley will come off.
All I do to get those out is grab the pulley with one hand and use a regular ratchet.
If you want to get that bolt out an impact wrench works well.

I should have said im installin a new bhj harmonic balancer and ud pully set. To do the harmoic balancer i think the bolt needs to come out. Thanks everyone for help. Zach

Back