there goes my trannie

dodgetruck91

wheil, i manage to snap the output shaft in half on my xr7. i picked up a m5r2 out of a Same year T-bird, will it bolt right up? and can you tell me the steps to change it? thanks a lot, jon

trans

yes itll bolt right in-and its not too bad-should take you about a day or two if you have never done it-change the clutch or at least the throwout bearing when youre in there, check the rear main seal to see if its leaking-slave cylinder if you have the cash handy-cheap preventive maintenance-all this stuffs hell to do when the trans is in-the hardest part is getting the driveshaft out-you need to lower the gas tank or remove the differential to do it-then just unbolt the trans, and put the new one in-make sure that if you take the clutch off that you use an alignment tool to put it back on, and take the shifter out of the trans before removing it-other than that-have fun.

THanks!
i have no cash for a clutch, i think once my truck is out of torage i might run through it, but a far as theh throwout bearing, where is it and how do i change? what should i expect to pay? ive done a 4wd auto trans so i i hope this int much diferent, al i no is this trans is 10x lighter :) thanks for the info.

i've been there and done that....i too snapped the output shaft clean off at the track. I learned the hard way not to dump the clutch and let wheel hop get the best of me. If you broke it during a hard launch, try slipping the clutch next time. At the track i slip it and get good reaction times of .590 or better, and the 60' times are good as well for street tires. It takes more of a beating on the clutch, but i rather have that be the weak link of the driveline.

fastsc92 said:
i've been there and done that....i too snapped the output shaft clean off at the track. I learned the hard way not to dump the clutch and let wheel hop get the best of me. If you broke it during a hard launch, try slipping the clutch next time. At the track i slip it and get good reaction times of .590 or better, and the 60' times are good as well for street tires. It takes more of a beating on the clutch, but i rather have that be the weak link of the driveline.

hit tha nail on the head, is there anything i can do to the rear most part of the housisng to rebuild the trans? the whold tran was like 2000 milies on rebuild? and how do i iget the gas tank droped to remove drive shaft? thanks

dodgetruck91 said:
hit tha nail on the head, is there anything i can do to the rear most part of the housisng to rebuild the trans? the whold tran was like 2000 milies on rebuild? and how do i iget the gas tank droped to remove drive shaft? thanks

just drop the differential and slide the driveshaft over the diff. there will be just enough room for the driveshaft to slide over it and to pull the trans. Trust me, its alot easier to do.

stephen

nah, just pull the 2 nuts off the back of the diff, then pull the 2 nuts off the front of the diff. let the diff drop, not hard, and rest on the halfshafts. it should allow enough room to pull the driveshaft over the diff. if not, shift the diff around to pull the driveshaft over it. then you pull the driveshaft out of the tranny...thats it, easy. trust me

stephen

Back