m5r2 or t5???

RandenSC

Whats ur opinion on these two, which one would you put in your sc?? which on is more durable with the 3.8 sc??
anyone opinions are greatly appreciated!

Well, I tend to go with what actually fits. That would be the M5R2. Save yourself a ton of headaches and use the right parts in the first place. SC's are hard enough to work on without making it worse. Parts are still available for the stock tranny and when properly rebuilt they work really nice.

XR7 Dave said:
Well, I tend to go with what actually fits. That would be the M5R2. Save yourself a ton of headaches and use the right parts in the first place. SC's are hard enough to work on without making it worse. Parts are still available for the stock tranny and when properly rebuilt they work really nice.

Dave, what would be included in a M5R2 rebuild?

Shane

99% of the time a new set of syncros, seals, shims and shifter parts.

Usually runs about $150 max.

actually...a M5R2 is rated for more power and torque than any model T5...i think it would cost tons to swap to a T5. You would need slave cylinder, bellhousing, MN12 performace extension housing, T56 shifter, 10.5" clutch kit, 10.5" flywheel, custom driveshaft, trans crossmember, and other odds and ends. Getting the right tranny for the car, that is actually stronger than the T5 is the way to go.

M5R2 may be stronger, but the a Tremec is pretty durable, if used correctly. Also, take into account that a T5/Tremec will shift much smoother, than any M5R2.

M5R2!!

stick with the M5R2 totally, it is rated for more HP and TQ, in the early modles it has the 3.75 !st gear ratio which is a neck snappin gear especially with a set of 3.55s in the rear!!

also, you guys ever see the dude who swapped in a 5.0 cobra motor with a blower in his 89 coupe?? well anyways he makes TONS of power, i think somewhere around 600, i could be wrong, but he kept the M5R2 in it and it handles it well, just a beefy cltuch and thats about it. he has custom rear end links and solid poly bushings all around the rear end and that eliminates his wheel hop. i got a video of him doin a burnout hard core on a circle track, its amazing. hes a member of SCCOA also, cant remember his name but you can find him on here. his car is bad as hell!!! the M5R2 trany kicks the crap out of the T-5, it handles stock more power then a "world class" T-5 i heard also. theres more threads on here from a while back talkin about the same thing.

XR7 Dave said:
99% of the time a new set of syncros, seals, shims and shifter parts.

Usually runs about $150 max.

Where do you get the parts from? Do you have any of the part #s?

Thanks!
Shane

I really hate the hydrolic cluth, its a pain in the ***. The t5 cable clutch would be easier to deal with. it the m5r2 is better anyone got one for sale thats in good shape, or anyone got a t5 for sale?

viperxiv said:
which transmission would go best in my '94 LX v8 auto?

That is to vauge of a question. Do you want to stay with an automatic tranny or convert to a manual tranny?

Shane

I have seen a ton of T-5 variants ripped up on the road course by small block fords. The M5R2 has a great rating, and is really a very good transmission. The only complaint I would have is that the gearing is very wide. Otherwise, it is good for a ton of miles with no complaints.

RandenSC said:
I really hate the hydrolic cluth, its a pain in the ***. The t5 cable clutch would be easier to deal with. it the m5r2 is better anyone got one for sale thats in good shape, or anyone got a t5 for sale?

That's kinda like saying you don't like hydraulic brakes.

Jeff

I've heard of at least one T45 swap into a 4.6L bird. The T45 will fit the mod motor bolt pattern, but I don't know if it's really any stronger or weaker than a T5.

For the record, the T5 is a hunk of crap compared to the M5R2. The first gear on the input shaft is HALF the size of the M5R2 gear. It's a smaller, weaker box and Mustangs have a hard time keeping them together with a thousand pounds less weight to carry around. If you want smooth shifting, less radical gearing and don't plan on beating your SC up, then maybe a T5 would be for you. But if you start banging gears you better get good and rebuilding it.

Aside from the cost of the tranny, I think the LS1 T56 would be as cheap as a T5 to swap in. Once someone pulls the trigger with some good pictures, you'll see T56 SC's all over the place. Your level of fabrication would include some mods to the slave cylinder and a custom driveshaft, but otherwise the McLeod bellhousing is a bolt in, you retain you stock flywheel and pressure plate, buy a LS1 clutch disk, buy the shifter, etc...actual fabrication should be minimal.

A big hitch is you would need a 4.10 rear end just to get back to your stock ratio's with a 2.73 rear end SC.

Back