Car stalled died, won't restart

JJanney

Last week while easing into the brakes, I noticed my stereo turned off once or twice, but it did not happen again, so I forgot about it. Today, this happened twice on the way to work, and then the third time, the car died.

I have checked out the fuses inside of the engine bay and they look ok. I am checking the fuse panel now. The car will not even turn over.

Any ideas? Thanks!

89 SC 5spd with aftermarket stereo equipment. I didn't have any real problems before this happened.

JJ, the one time something similar to this happened to me many years ago, I found one of the small wires off of the starter ( may be part of the relay circuit) came loose off its terminal. Popped it back on and never happened again.

Get under there and have a look at your starter wiring

Also, I've had a battery short out internally, causing a symptom very much like that. Do you have headlights etc?

Good luck.

I have more power now that I cleaned up all the contacts. It could be time for a new battery. I am not sure how old this one is.

If the battery has an internal short, you should find a dead cell. You can have it tested at most car parts places for free, or buy a cheap electrolyte tester and do it yourself.

Back