synchronizer pics

creeperxr7

hey guys would any body happen to have any pictures were it shows what posistion the cam synchronizer ends up in i cant figure it out. the reason i ask is becuase i did a vacum test on my engine and it only pulls 10-15 hg mercury.... tester shows that i have late ing timming any body now how to correct this problem.. cause all other cars i tested show between 17- 22 hg. or could it be something else that is retarding my timming like that the engine is a new rebuild....with probably 250 miles on it ... last engine i had pulled the same amount of vac.. so i dont know.. its a diffrent engine same hardware...

Creeper here is a pic from the Ford manual showing how the vane and body should be orientated after its installed.
Hope this helps you. #1 piston must be at 26 degs before top dead center during the install.

Attachments

• camsensor3.jpg
    camsensor3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
This is where mine is. Make sure you have the engine 26 degrees ATDC.

Attachments

• sc engine synchronizer pics.jpg
    sc engine synchronizer pics.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 907
Yes that is correct I'm sorry I mispoke.
This is from the manual.

Synchronizer Assembly

CAUTION:
Prior to starting this procedure, set cylinder No. 1 to 26 degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC) of the compression stroke. Then note the position of the camshaft sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the connector be located in the same position.

mike does that look about right were my feloow sc has it in his pic if it is im way off..... my setting sitts close real close to the ac bracket.. thanks guys for all your help...:)

Hey what did you end up doing about the synchronizer bushing in the timing cover? Seems I remember some kind of problem earlier with that.:)

That pic seems more than 30 deg from the parrallel line of the timing cover. Looks more like 45deg. I know mine is right at 30 deg and it doesn't look quite like that. Maybe a tooth off? Just my observation.

You might be right 35th. That may have been a tooth off. I took that picture before I took the synchronizer out to prime the oil pump. Here is a picture I just took. Its raining out here in Seattle (surprise) so I did not take the time to pull the SC belt. Its not as easy to see as the other photo.

Attachments

• sc cam sensor housing  2 14 2004 small.jpg
    sc cam sensor housing 2 14 2004 small.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 630
thats what i was refering it seem a little off like 45 to 50' it looks like it would hit the sc belt.. the bushing " i replaced the whole timming cover... but i dont think that would cause my vac to be that low....i dont know what it could be but that guage has always ticked my clock knowing it should be way higher than that......what else could cause low vac readings......how about valve traing geometry .what if the maching shop didnt shim the springs after milling the heads wouldnt that make a symptom the the vac pulling of the engine..........

Do you still have the stock cam in it? I have a mild cam in mine and it dropped my vacuum from around 20 inches to about 18. I have read where cars with more radical cams are as low as 10 inches of vacuum and run fine.. If your engine is stock I would look for vacuum leaks.

Are you relying on the factory vac gauge or an aftermarket gauge? Hook a mechanical vac tester gauge to the supercharger inlet plenum and see if the 2 gauges read the same.
Check for vac leaks as well.

my stock gauge and my vac tester read pretty much the same ... on vac tester it say i believe from 0-10 late valve timming or intake manifold leak and from 10 to 15 it says nothing.... from 15 to 17 it says late ignition timming before was on the late ignition timing .. thats when i tought i had the synchro. off... but also the timming aint adjustable.... what else could make my timming be late .... unless the rings havent settled in and losing vac around unsealed rings.... my needle on the vac tester stays pretty much steady...no fluctuating or droping.

Well creeper since you built this engine did you install the timing chain and gears in time? If so you got vac leaks somewhere.
You did'nt put a big cam in did you?
The cam sensor setting is'nt that important, infact it can be off quite abit and not affect anything.
The comp sets the ignition timing and its not adjustable. Neither of these things are your problem.
Either you have a big cam or you installed the cam and timing set out of time or you have vac leaks. I'm leaning real hard on vac leaks.

Last edited:
i tried to trace them and none found were else could i look for vac leaks.... intercooler tubes sealed with t-bird 88 gaskets

Anything from the throttlebody all the way to the intake manifold itself.
I have seen the IC cores leak around the tubes where they are glued to the header plate at the endtanks.
How are you checking for the leaks? Are you spraying carb cleaner or propane or ether on the joints?

Back