Has anybody wired a trans cooler fan?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I was wondeiring if anybody has done this? Is it recomended? Im contemplating the idea of putting one on my 89 when its back on the road. I already bought a 24k gvw B&M cooler and a fan sounds logical, but i've read that if you keep your trans fluid too cold, it could end up being detrimental to the transmission. A good way around it, and what i plan to do if I get the OK on the fan, is just wiring the fan to a switch and letting the tranny warm up, then fliping on the fan when necessary instead of having it wired to come on with ignition (like the IC fans). Your suggestions are much appreciated.

The B&M style cooler that I have doesn't over cool, it opens more cooling vents as the heat rises. I don't think a fan will make any difference on that style of cooler. It came with brackets, hoses, nuts & bolts, and etc. which was great. I put it in front of my rad by removing the bolts that hold the hood latch and intalled the upper brackets and the bottom was just as easy, I didn't have to drill anything. I used the supplied hose and totally bypassed the rad cooler, but I did plug the holes with bolts so it won't drip. It only took me about 45min. to install it and if your rad ever needs replacing you can use either the 1 for AOD or 5spd. Good luck

I've read that it is still recomended to use the factory cooling system that the AOD radiators come with, in addition of the aftermarket (B&M in our case) coolers. I guess since you mounted yours in front of the radiator balances out for the loss of cooling provided by the rad, but since our standard cooling system is poor in its self, i would not like to restrict air flow to it even more by putting a tranny cooler in front of it.

Back