car died while driving... no spark from ignition

stephens89sc

wel i was driving and all of a sudden the car died lol funny thing is is that i was on my way to get gas for my friends car that broke down lol anyways so i ran codes and it sais 212, 46, 7 and it just repeats itself the 46 is cause i have gutted ac anyways the book sais 212 is losss of ignition diagnostic monitor signal/ SPOUT circut grounded ....

what does this mean i have no car and i need it for school please help

SPOUT is the spark timing signal from the EEC to the DIS. If the code says that diagnostic code is missing, the likely thing is the DIS module. Its the grey plastic case on top of the A/C compressor bracket.

Also, when you try to start it, does the uparrow on the tach come on and stay on? If so, the EEC is not getting a signal from the crank sensor. Check that the harmonic balancer to crankshaft main bolt is there. If its missing, you'll need to replace the HB.
If the light doesn't come on, then I'd try swapping out the DIS ICM module. The car will run w/o a cam sensor or a faulty cam sensor.

the shift light stays on all the time and i just replaced the crank sensor and the dis module and it did nothing...... what the hell is wrong

If the harmonic balancer bolt has broken, the balancer has probably moved forward such that the shutter vanes are not going between the sensor gap. Check for the main HB center bolt. You can feel around for it or check with a mirror; it'll be obvious.

If you find a missing bolt, what I would do is buy a new bolt and crank it on there to pushd the HB back against the crankshaft and then wait for spring to replace the balancer. The new bolt will break again eventually. The only solution is to replace the harmonic balancer.

See Forum Rules (below) for
more information about what
codes you are allowed to use
in your posts.

(Edited by Admin)

Last edited:
the bolt isnt brokin i had the bolt off when i changed the crank sensor, and the harmonic balancer is fine ...... its somethign electrical, and by the way i replaced the crank sensor and the shift light still stays on all the time when im cranking. and there is no spark whatsoever, i also tried replacing the coil, that did nothign aswellll please help!!!

Get the book and check to see if you have voltage at the coil if not it looks like you are in need of the DIS module. I have seen them go out all at once like that but its not very often.

AsScLoWn...whats the deal with the stupid looking dwarf in the Louis Armstrong get up?

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but from personal experience it sounds like you have a broken crankshaft.The crank stress cracks between the number one and four offset journals and pushes the snout out just enough to miss the crank sensor.Measure the clearance between thee crank exciter and the sensor.In my case it was only about .020.If this isn't the case I would love to know what the solution was. good luck

Jeremy Grimes

OK.. if the shift light comes on and stays on, then you either have a bad sensor, bad wiring, snapped crankshaft :eek: :eek: , or a bad EEC.
I'm still concerned with the HB; normally, there is no reason to remove the main bolt when replacing the sensor. If you removed the balancer, are you sure its compeltely seated? When you spin the engine, do the vanes on the back of the HB go through the sensor gap?

If all thats OK, then you can check the signal at the EEC.

Chris Walker said:

AsScLoWn...whats the deal with the stupid looking dwarf in the Louis Armstrong get up?

ok I'll give up ... its him

(Edited bye Admin)

Last edited:
Just a thought, I had a similar problem and it was just that the mechanic tried using a cheaper DIS to save me some money. If it's not a Motorcraft DIS, you might want to check that too.

(Edited by Admin)
:D couldnt tell the crank pulley was wobbling up and down like 1/4":rolleyes: . Took a vise grip to the crank snout and shook it, it wobbled...case closed...dont regrind SC cranks:D . Codes were 21,24 and 67?, two digit codes anyways, two for being too cold when checking codes and the other for having no AC connected:rolleyes:

To include a picture or graphic within the body of your message, you can simply surround the address of the image as shown here:

sccoa_forums_flag.gif

Note that the http:// part of the image URL is required for the code.

You can even create a thumbnail-type hyperlink by surrounding your [img] code with a [url] code like this:

[url=http://www.sccoa.com/forums/images/sccoa_forums_flag.gif][img]http://www.sccoa.com/forums/images/vb_bullet.gif[/url]

Last edited:
Automatically parse URLs: automatically adds and around internet addresses.
Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible.
Disable Smilies in This Post
Show Signature: include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures. :

Last edited:
Just a Reminder....

Our forums are for assisting other SC/XR7 owners, not for name calling and making fun of people. I have been monitoring and moderating this thread.

If you have some "Edits by Admin" in your post, perhaps a more thorough reading of our rules would help. Rules are at the TOP of all forums and here is a link:

FORUM RULES

Back