Omitting steel tube for oil pressure sensor

Digitalchaos

I am wondering about the size of the inlet in the block for that apparently steel pipe which the oil sendor screws into.

Specifically because I wonder if I can fit another sender size in that hole and eliminate the pipe altogther, hence opening up more room for this simple part which seems to require some form of regular maintaince.

Would be nice to change it without removing the alt bracket :D

Oil Pressure Pipe

Pretty sure it's 1/2" pipe thread. I added a "T" a few months ago to tag in a mechanical gauge on a recent aquisition ('91 SC)and that's the size as I remember. Don't get the maintenance issue thing as I haven't had any leakage issues with this recent mod or on the same mod I had made on an '89 SC that I ran for 180,000 miles.

Hope this helps and that I'm remembering correctly.

Would be interested in your source for zerk equipped ball joints if it's not a state secret.

Bill

Thanks for the info WRGoudy.. I wasn't aware that this pipe was replaced to fit a T adapter, didn't really think about it. Where are these T adapters picked up, I assume the stock sender fits them?

As for the greasable Joints, I believe they are made by Moog, installed by previous owner. I also believe these are available at Autozone.

Oil Pressure Connection

I'll double check today regarding the pipe size, etc., but if memory serves I simpy added a 1/2" brass "T" (Lowe's or Home Depot) to the existing pipe (after R&R to apply teflon pipe sealant) to enable running both the stock sender and the after market SunPro tubing fitting for the mechanical gauge. I'll take a digital photo and post it later if I can figure out how to post it.

If you're interested, I'll also take a photo of the method I used to install a mechanical water temp gauge in an unconventional way that many might not find acceptable. I discovered that 3/8" brass fittings are a fine fit when spliced into the water pump bypass hose. For only a few dollars in fittings you can add a SUNPRO mechanical gauge and keep the stocker if your interested.

Be back later.

Back