Crazy Headlights

SC UL8R1990

i tryed to do a little search but couldnt find anything.....i need some type of harness or kit for my headlight system. they go on and off after being on a while, or with the fogs on.

EDIT :::::what parts am i exactly looking for here? headlight switch and a harness plug? what are the exact terms......part#'s would be great too!! thanks!

Last edited:
Ill be willing to bet you that your multifunction switch and connector have melted. I have done literally hundreds of those things on all kinds of vehicles. Check it out. If the connector is burned/melted swap it out and 99% of the time it will fix er.

i know im a dummy i just found a post explaining exactly what i need to do......its my headlight switch and the harness plug behind it.

but what parts am i looking for???

If your headlights go out and you can turn your birtes on then its more then likely the multifunction switch. Pull the column cover off and pop off the plug that runs along the column and plugs into the turn signal. You will know if its burned. It turns brown.

well i replaced the headlight switch today....it didnt look burnt or melted so i think i found it in it's early stages. The copper looked like it had been heated up though. We'll see how everything goes

Mine are doing this now too. It started acting up when I put on the left turn signal. Like when I pulled down on the turn signal lever. The head lights would go out. I replaced the multifunction switch with another used one that is in better shape. I have had both apart, inspected, cleaned, and lubricated. It is still doing it. No evidence of burning. Very very slight deformation from heat on the four wire plug for the headlights. But nothing serious.

Now it is doing it even when I have not used the turn signals. Just driving down the road.

I have searched the forum several times. (for all those angry posters that will reply telling me how to use the search button on the upper right) I understand there problems with the multifunction switches melting and burning from the current going to the fog lights. I have stopped using the auto dimmer and turned the head lights on manually. It still did it. I stopped using the fog lights. It still did it. I have a brand new multifunction switch that arrived today. Also have a relay to hook up to the fog lights.

Are there any other suggestions?

I know your pain. It sounds like you are on the right track. If you install the new multifunction switch and it still does it I will try to get a copy of the diagram and give you a hand.

These Competition headlamp kits are not for the fog lights. Do we need to get the amps for the headlamps off the circuits in addition to the amps for the fog lights?

What component of the circuitry would be shutting off the power to the lights if it is overloaded? No C/Bs are blowing. Is there a over temp or over load switch?

The headlight switch gets very hot. Is this normal? It seems to be the white wheel part of the reostat for the dash lights.

Ford has a recall on headlight switch !
Any SC's with fog lights recall !
And for a great price summit has a relay kit that will turn on all 4 headligts with the high beam switch.
use the search button for my post from last year on how to install this 15.00 relay along with 10 gauge wire from the battery to power up 90/130 bulbs and turn a dark road into day light driving. It also removes the heavy current drain that would be in your factory switch.
or you could buy the expensive headlight loom .

It’s the headlight switch. Replace it –and preferably install relays on the headlights.
I had the same problem last year. I opened the switch to inspect and clean it. Both inside and outside looked fine, so I put it back together and reinstalled it. Instead I installed relays on the high and low beams. This worked fine for about 3-4 months, but then I had the same problem again. So, early in December, I replaced the HL switch with a new one, and I haven’t had the problem since.

A couple of times I have had a problem with right hand high beam not switching off when switching back to low beams. But this is caused by the multifunction switch, and switching it on and off a few times does the trick. ;)

The wiring harness from JEGS works great. I modified it by hooking it up with two blade fuse holders too. The fog lights are wired up like the link suggested. After getting the lights re-wired I replaced the headlight switch and multifunction switch with new Ford switches. All is well but the wallet is lighter.

Now I can try some higher wattage bulbs from hioutputbulbs. http://www.hioutputbulbs.com/bulbs.htm

Those pathetic OEM fog light bulbs are only 27 watts! What a joke.

If you go to the web site George put on his message (Competition Lighting) you can buy 'just' the new harness with relays for about $60 (one model is for the 2 bulb headlights on the earlier SC and the other is for the combined/dual bulb on later SC's). This takes all the headlight current away from the stock harness that passes thru the dash switches and then the stock wiring can handle the existing fog/driving lights without any problems. If you upgrade the fogs to higher wattage then you might want to consider separating them from the stock circuit altogether. Just replacing the switch, even if you get it done under the recall is only a temporary solution. I had my headlamp switch replaced by Ford on my '93, but the multi-function switch still fried over time. Do the harness !!!!, it only takes about 45 mins. to install and is cheap (if you don't get suckered into using the fancy bulbs they offer).
Jim.

I concur regarding "don't get suckered into using the fancy bulbs they offer". The simulated HID bulbs that I got from JEGs are crap. They claim to be 80 watts and xenon but they are just 55 watt bulbs that have blue colored glass. The stock 55 watt bulbs from Phillips work better than the simulated HID bulbs. Maybe the blue glass reduces the light output.

How about the hioutputbulbs.com upgrades? Has anyone tried some of these that could provide some feedback?

I dont know about the other bulbs on the market but i wanted a nice bright sharp look and went with sylvaina's silverstars. They are kinda pricy but i got some good deals and well worth what i payed for them. They are brighter than stock and keep a nice yellow/white light rather than a blueish tint. Really lights up the backroads at night. I should get the dual light kit and it would be so much better:) Just lettin you all know they did very well for me. Zach

Back