burnt tranny?

darkstar_one

ok.... in the morning my transmission is fine....
but after driving for lets say 45 minutes from work... the transmission will not come out of high gear when u slow down and u step on it again... i have to manually pull it out of high gear and into the next lower gear... also when it starts doing that... and im on a stop... the transmission kind of slips... for like around 300rpms and then it will go again... it only does it when its HOT... I have a tranny cooler on it and i have replaced the fluid and filter... also... when i replaced the filter i forgot to add this gasket that is squared on the filter inlet or outlet... dont know... anyone?

its a 91 THUNDERBIRD SC
i had this transmission fully rebuilt around 7,000 miles ago... im starting to wonder if they did install the SHIFT KIT i asked them to install. and if they did fully rebuild it with SC tranny parts and not with N/A T-BIRD tranny parts.

Last edited:
suckin air

Darkstar, if you didn't put the little square filter gasket on you will have a air leak and won't suck oil in through the filter pickup properly. Put that gasket in and your probs will be gone.

The point is the gasket is SUPPOSED to be there for a reason and until you eliminate that KNOWN problem you are pissing in the wind trying to trouble shoot your problem. No gasket there will leak regardless of the tranny heat.
The way yours is now its leaking air into the oil pickup and cavitating the pump and auto trannys cannot work properly without a steady flow of nothing but the oil.
Eliminate the gasket problem and then see whats going on.

I'm sorry, I was'nt screaming I was only emphasizing those words.
I'll start underlining words I'm emphasizing from now on. I can see where you would think I was screaming, sorry.:)

sooooo.....

Hey guys. So what was the final outcome on this? Was it the filter gasket? I ask because my 90 just started doing the same exact things yours is doing.

Thanks
Tory

Sounds like your direct clutch is fried. I would advise against driving it till you have it rebuilt. Otherwise the clutch can seize (stalling the car). Any attempt to restart the motor at this point will cause the trans input shaft to snap, snapping the spider gears in the rearend in half (happened to me in my LX), or potentially damage the motor.

Hey guys. So what was the final outcome on this? Was it the filter gasket? I ask because my 90 just started doing the same exact things yours is doing.

Thanks
Tory

Tory,

Doubt they will answer, since the thread was from 9 years ago. Check to make your TV cable is still attached to the throttle body linkage.

David

The problem ended up being the whole damn car. It was a learning experience that ended with me swearing to never ever buy domestic again. So many wasted nights. These cars were discontinued for a reason. Buy a dog, take a trip around the world, or get a girlfriend. Just get rid of it.

The problem ended up being the whole damn car. It was a learning experience that ended with me swearing to never ever buy domestic again. So many wasted nights. These cars were discontinued for a reason. Buy a dog, take a trip around the world, or get a girlfriend. Just get rid of it.

Oh you couldn't figure out the problem. Hey I have always said. Go to a benz dealer and guess what you'll see? 100+k cars on the lift being repaired. It happens. Mn12 were actually very well engineered. Your statement sounds very uneducated. How many 20+ year old asian cars do you see around driving on the roads? Those cars all went to the crusher too.

Back