HELP: wierd overheating?

Stelar SC

Ok. This is a problem that just started out of nowhere. I started my car and let it warm up, and after about 5 mins it got to 130 degrees. Then i started to drive, and i turned the heat on, and i look at my after market temp. guage and it the temp starts to go up very very fast (about a degree a second). So i leave the car running and get out and look under the hood, the overflow Res. it almost filled up to the top, and i cant see any atifreeze in the radiator. So i turn the car off and use my second car, and about 3 hours later i start the car again. It goes from 100 degrees to about 170 in about 4 mins, then all of a sudden it drops down to 140 realy fast. Then i keep driving and it starts to go up normal again, then when it goes up normal until 160, it starts to go up very fast again. It reaches 245 and i pull over and let it cool off. I check the coolant again and the overflow Res. is even more filled up(almost about to overflow, and the radiator still had nothing in it). Tt sits for about 3 mins, and i start it again and its at 170, so i go and it starts to go up fast. I start to drive again and its going up normal, then all of a sudden it starts to go up fast again, and it gets up to 240 and then it drops down to 230 and it goes from 230 to 231, and it stayed like that until i got to my destination. Now its sitting in the driveway, and im telling you what happend. PLEASE HELP?!

Sorry for babbling about it for a long time... i just wanted to get the full story just incase ... thanx:confused:

Since no one helping you I'll take a GUESS at it. I'd start looking for some air in the system (Pull mushroom looking thing right side of the SC and fill to the top) does the heater blow warm then hot air too?
Or maybe the guage is screwy.
Does the car feel like it is that hot? My car doesn't want to shift into gear and shimmies real bad from light when it is real hot.

It shifts fine, but i know the guage isnt screwed up because the overflow Res. is so filled up, and there is barely anything in the radiator...

Is the overflow hose kinked or plugged? The overflows get a lot of setiment built up in the bottom and the hose may have sucked some into it. Just guessing here...but if the radiator is empty then fill it and find out where it is going. If it isn't leaking it, then I wonder if it is burning it. Check your oil color????

Idk man, ill look tommoro morning for any kinked hoses and try to get a closer look, but i noticed that some white smoke is comming out of the exsaust, but what i can think of its ether Kinked hose, thermostat, water pump, or i hate to say it... head gasket

:( I was thinking HG's, but didn't want to jinx you man. Check that oil, and do a pressure test on radiator to see if it is leaking @ head. Good luck...

Attachments

• please oh please.gif
    please oh please.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 255
When the car is running it seems to also get bubbles comming from the bottom of the overflow Res. so that means it cant be cloged or anything... idk with all my luck its problly the head gaskets

Did you fill the RAD back up or just leave it with the stuff in the overflow tank? If there is crap in the bottom of the tank it can act as a 1 way valve because the rad is under pressure and the bottle is not. The pressure will push it through the crap. I know sounds weak but its at least an option....:(

Well i would but something new has happend... lately my heat has been acting up, so this morning i went to go start to car, and while it was warming up im checking everthing, and the overflow is acually normal, its all the way by the bottom, and i look at the radiator and the coolant isnt up to the top, but i can see where it is (so its like an inch from the top)... anyway the car heats up to 192 normally(took about 10 mins), and it was staying there for like 3 mins, then i turn the heat on. It starts to blow out freezeing air (the temp was on 90 degrees all the way on high), and the temp of the car started to go up slowley to 209 and then i looked at the overflow again and its starting to fill up, and bubble alot... so now im thinking it has something to do with the heat... i hate fords... help?

If your lucky it's just a bad radiator cap, but I'm guessing that you have combustion leaking into your cooling system from a blown headgasket.

David

BobGPz said:
I'd start looking for some air in the system (Pull mushroom looking thing right side of the SC and fill to the top) does the heater blow warm then hot air too?

As I said first off, when air gets into the coolant system, either from HG's or it just got low and sucked air, the heater will blow hot and cold air. That means the coolant is NOT getting to the heater core. It may be HG's, but first try filling radiator, unplug overflow hose, and PROPERLY refill radiator AND that mushroom thing-a-ma-jig next to the SC. I found that getting air out of the cooling system to be a bear, and doesn't help when my rad is plugged and old. If you are getting bubbles from overflow tank, and white smoke from pipes, and loosing coolant with no leaks, then I think Mike is right about the HG Monster paying you a visit..

Just noticed you are running a 10% SC Pulley. That may have contributed to HG's as well...:(

Im not sure what the mushroom thing is you are talking about but this now sounds exactly like HGs. The gasses are getting into the coolant and pushing the fluid into the overflow bottle. Put a pressure tester on and start the car. If you pump it up the car will run differently then otherwise. And as the car revs up the pressure will climb. If the cap was bad it would overflow out the top of the RAD 99.9% of the time.

Yeah Chris, I forget the name of it. Actually mine has no mushroom thing, mine is just a bolt, but stock there is a funky yellow mushroom thing. Guess most people call it the filler tube, but they get confused and fill the radiator cap instead.:)

I am having trouble with my Rad also, I didnt bleed the air out and I think that is what is wrong with mine . I just changed the head gasket and I was making sure everything works wright , My temp sensor the one on the thermostat housing is messed up also I cant get my gage to start working , I put a new wire on it and it worked for about an hour and stoped..any ideas??
Also the rad fan is not comming on, how high on the stock gage does the temp have to be at before the fan comes on??

Alright i dont think i blew a head gasket. The car runs perfectly fine, and we started my friends mustang too and it has the same amout of smoke (i guess because its just realy cold in NY). But we noticed the fan isnt working (the one on the radiator). It wont go on at all, and i have this type of small chunky **** in my overflow Res. like its on the side, but the car runs perfectly fine.. so idk

when i blew my HG's the chunky stuff in my coolant was pieces of gasket and/or oil. Check your oil... if it looks like a cup of coffee with cream in it you will know they're gone.

These stupid fans never work properly!
I have to manually turn my on by way of the A/C or Defroster to make fan turn on. It is SUPPOSE to come on when needle is on the "M" (norM) then again the dummy guages aren't exactly accurate. But mine usually redlines and won't go into gear by the time I have to click on the Air Conditioning. If you turn the A/C on, listen for the fan...

Back