SC on Propane

M

Mike8675309

SC on Propane

I was just reading a little on propane powered cars and noted that they can run much higher compression ratio's without detonation.

Has anyone considered or heard of an SC changed over to propane? Anyone think it's possible?

Re: SC on Propane

talk to manny sc, or dave neibert, i believe they are interested and/or have been working with propane

al

Mike:

I'm planning to install a propane injection system later this summer to allow higher boost and cool the intake charge.

I'll still be using the fuel system I have now and the propane will only be injected when boost is over 13 pounds. The system looks like a NOS dry type and is being made for use on turbo powered cars like Supras, Stealths and GNs. It looks like it would work on the SC without any changes.

It is an alternative to water/alky injection and not a power adder like NO2.

David

I've watched the threads on Propane injection to try and reduce intake temperatures. It sounds very interesting and I'll be curious to see the results.

I'm pondering propane as a primary fuel due to it's equivalent costs and higher octane. It would allow higher compression ratio's without the fear of detonation.

But I don't see much evidence of others doing this before. And I'm wondering if it might be because while propane can improve things a bit, nothing can beat true high octane gasoline.

Dave,

Do you have any links to site that are selling systems currently for turbo applications?

Thx.

Air Intake cooling...

Has anyone ever tried injecting air? Same principal as N20, except you would have an endless supply. All you would need would be a high pressure air pump, and you could use all the attatchments from a n20 kit.

Air injection being the same as NO2?

Well, you'd have to shove a lot of it in there. Our supercharger is already doing all it can to inject air. NO2 can give you problems with detonation.

Propane benefits from being an additive that has a higher octane and thus is more resistant to ignition. In addition, it cools the ambient air around it decreasing the charge air temperature allowing even more air to enter the cylinders.

A propane powered SC would be nice, but getting fuel on long trips might be tough. If instead it could be made into a flexible fuel vehicle, maybe with computer programmer, that would be more usable.

Mike8675309 said:
Air injection being the same as NO2?

Well, you'd have to shove a lot of it in there. Our supercharger is already doing all it can to inject air. NO2 can give you problems with detonation.

I mean inject it like N20 is injected. You wouldn't get rid of the supercharger. And you wouldn't run lean because you would know exactly how much your putting in, just like you know how much N20 your putting in.

Regardless whether it is N2O, air, or even pure oxygen, You have to provide extra fuel OR YOU WILL GO LEAN. All nitrous systems provide extra fuel. In a wet system the fuel is provided from a jet mounted with the nitrous. In a dry system the extra fuel is provided through the injectors via increased fuel pressure. You can't just add the air, if it is added after the maf the computer doesn't see it and it will run lean.

Jeff

Even if you know how much air your putting in, then you have to have the extra fuel. Period.

PROPANE IS FUEL

IT IS A COMPLETE FUEL THAT BURNS SLOWER AND IS COOL REAL COOL SO IT RAISES OCTANE AND COOLS AIR CHARGE:D

I didn't say anything about "Propane or propane products", I said air, N2O, or oxygen (which isn't a good idea)

Jeff

Regardless whether it is N2O, air, or even pure oxygen, You have to provide extra fuel OR YOU WILL GO LEAN. All nitrous systems provide extra fuel. In a wet system the fuel is provided from a jet mounted with the nitrous. In a dry system the extra fuel is provided through the injectors via increased fuel pressure. You can't just add the air, if it is added after the maf the computer doesn't see it and it will run lean.

I fail to see why this needed to be stated. Obviously if you know how much air you are injecting, you can re-calibrate the fuel system, or use a nitrous kit but replace the bottle with a high pressure air pump. then all you have to do is re-calibrate the kit so it puts in the right ammount of fuel.

Then you have a large cooling effect, more power, and an end-less supply of injected air rather than having to fill up a bottle all the time.

Air injection

Air injection is a good idea. In fact I've been running it since I had my SC. The previous owner must have set it up cause it was like that when I bought it. It's a sweet setup. There's a belt driven air compressor bolted to my intake manifold and it sucks the air right through the MAF and is regulated by the throttle body so the computer knows how much air is being added. It adds loads of power cause it pumps compressed air right into the engine.

:D

I fail to see why this needed to be stated. Obviously if you know how much air you are injecting, you can re-calibrate the fuel system, or use a nitrous kit but replace the bottle with a high pressure air pump. then all you have to do is re-calibrate the kit so it puts in the right ammount of fuel.

Then you have a large cooling effect, more power, and an end-less supply of injected air rather than having to fill up a bottle all the time.

There are several problems with doing this. a few of them are as follows.

Compressed air will be hot.
Volume of air required will be more than an average shop compressor could supply.
Compression of the air will cause condensation.
Additional HP will be needed to run the compressor, probably more than it would make.
Additional fuel will only be needed when compressed air is being used, since the volume of air and fuel required will vary with engine RPMs you can't just re-calibrate the fuel system.
Like Jeff said the car is already equiped with a device that performs the function you are describing, it's called the supercharger.

David

so let me get this straight. you run propane instead of gas? is that right what i am getting out of this? so i can turn my sc into a barbecue grill? cook up some hot dogs and hambugers on the trunk lid, woohoo.

jd
91sc

I recommend running pure oxygen it will work just like nitrous except there is no Nitrogen to keep it from reacting to anything around it. As soon as it hits the oil in the IC tubes it will have a spiff-o-rific reaction. I was hoping you would figure out that compressed air is high pressure at low volume (4-5 SCFM). What is needed is low pressure with high volume (kinda like a SUPERCHARGER). In order for your compressed air idea to even come close to working you will need an air amplifier, Which looks like a annular discharge booster in a carb. They have flow #’s in the 1000 CFM range. Exair Corp. is one company that makes those. Adding it B4 the Maf would probably cause problems with the signal. After the maf could work, but you still are going to be adding some unmetered air to the system.

Jeff

Back