arp stud users

MartianBob

I have a set of the chevy arp studs I'm about to install.
I notice the washers with the stud kit are much smaller than the shoulder on the stock head bolts.

Are you guys using the arp washers or getting something different?

thanks
Bob

I think you will find both. The SC kit has the same small washers. I don't see any problem with the small washers.

ARP Studs

I don't mean to highjack this tread but I am in the process of getting parts together to do my head gaskets. I've read that ARP are the best to use and I don't mind spending extra for better parts. But what kind of advantages do they have over using a new set from Ford or Felpro? Are they reusable if I have to do my head gaskets again? (I sure I will have to do them again some time:mad: )

Thanks for any replies,

Jay

Last edited:
stud benefits

Thanks for your reply Dave, I was wondering about the SC kit. I'm glad they are the same.

ipeefreely:

The arp studs are reusable. And they are easier to install. The chevy kit (#233-4003) is only $75 and works fine out of the box. The SC kit is more expensive, and last I heard required some grinding of some of the studs.

The factory bolts require a tedious procedure be followed for proper installation and are not reusable.

Get some shrink powder for your hands before this job; you're gonna wish they were a little smaller. Some of the bolt placements are down right comical.

Cheers
Bob

Another option is to use an ARP bolt kit. It will be easier than the studs, and they will be re-usable. I haven't check part numbers, but it should be a good option at a price point between the stockers and the studs.

Would any of these be the bolt kit for our heads (from Jegs)?

070-154-3601 289/302 Standard Heads, Hi-Perf Series $37.99
070-154-3603 351 Windsor, Hi-Perf Series $51.99
070-154-3604 351 Cleveland, 400M, Hi-Perf Series $54.99
070-254-3708 289/302 with Windor Heads 1/2''-7/16'' stepped bolt, 1/2''-7/16'', Pro Series $109.99

Is there a down side to using ARP bolts over ARP studs?

Thanks...

You would need to find a bolt kit made for the 3.8 V6 or the Chevy 2.8 application above. The threads are metric.

I believe these are the ARP part numbers you are looking for:

ARP Head Studs
233-4303
Right length, Chevy 2.8L application

Last I heard about $75 at Summit.

Back