Some questions

Billabong089

I had my car in storage for like 2 months, and whenever I store the car for a while, the passenger side valve cover area right by the firewall smokes for like 2minutes or so... I think its antifreeze but I'm not sure, what could be causing that?

The reason why I havent been driving it is because it needs a timing cover gasket and was pouring out antifreeze when I was driving it, but I let it heat up fully today and it didn't drip anything???

Either way its getting a new gasket lol, I got a new chain, gears, BHJ balencer, Waterpump, etc so I dont care lol.

Also if their was air trapped in the cooling system, would that cause an occasional bubble(s) to come to the surface of the overflow? I noticed it when I turned the car off it was a very slow bubble, and It also bubbled with the car on but it didn't increase when I rev'ed it so I doubt its blow by and it was doing it when the car was off, I think the mechanic got air trapped in during a pressure test on the radiator...

Just for you ppl who say headgaskets... Oil very very clean, antifreeze clean and no over heating or white smoke ;)

Also how much do you think it will cost me to replace the timing cover gasket, waterpump, install a BHJ balencer, and timing chain and gears...?

Guess here !

The hose that runs to the inside of the fire wall to your heater core has come loose or is cracked... In my case it was the hose to the throttle body easy fix . Shouldn't be to bad for you but the cowl and EGR are gonna have to come off .. can't help with the rest GOOD LUCK ED.

labor price

replacing all of that is going to be around 500-1000 depending on where you take it. just make sure they don't try to charge the full labor amount for, say putting on a new water pump when it was already off. some places will try that. if you are doing the timing cover, the oil pump is about 100 dollars and really easy to replace when you have it all of. and if you change the timing gears yourself, remember the oil pan doesn't HAVE to come off.

I had that done in 5/2002 at 100,6xx miles. Symptom was a coolant leak. The bill was $840. Same mechanic has worked on the car for 9 years. I had the other parts replaced as precautionary maintenance while it was all apart.

- water pump
- timing chain
- timing gears
- 3 belts
- 2 hoses
- gasket set
- oil change

Back