Could someone help out a turbo guy?

driftmaster

Hello,

I have a question for you guys since your cars are supercharged. I have no experience with this type of induction and was wondering if you could enlighten me to the differences between a SC and a turbo (other than one is powered off of exhaust and the other a pulley). FOr example I run about 16psi (13psi stock) . WHat do you guys run?

thx

With the supercharger, boost is instant rather than having turbo lag with turbos. I run around 15-16psi with my car with has a fmic and all bolt ons. I see that your are from cleveland, what part? maybe we could meet up sometime.

super red91, there is a huge meet at quaker state and lube in valley view at 4pm saturday feb 21st. Show on up there will be about 4 evos, 1 sti, 9 wrxs, 2 audis, a lexus, one red 90 Supercoupe, and some others. You are welcome to come, my car is blue w/ yellow rally graphics. I live in strongsville.

Afterwards we go out racing ... trust me on this, it is a blast, its the most fun i've ever had in my car.

JJaney, if i didnt have to keep my car for 6 more years or else I could get down in the high 12s, but I take it easy at the track and my best time was a 13.2.

Actually there are a couple of types of superchargers.

The centrifugal type operates pretty much like a belt driven turbo. It isn't as efficient as a turbo as the impeller speeds are lower which makes for a "rougher" impeller. Seat of the pants feel will be somewhat similar although the turbo will have more of a come-on feel.

The positive displacement "blowers" move air pretty good at low speeds but efficiency drops off fairly rapidly as rotor speed is increased. The Eaton brand blower used by Ford is a small version of the Roots blowers that have been around for at least 150 years. In fact they were initially designed to ventilate mines. Large versions of Roots blowers are seen on Top Fuel Dragsters.

Anyway, it is ot uncommon for a positive displacement blower to be able to move enough air at low engine speed to have 10+ psi of boost as low as 1000rpm. BTW, usually a blower installation has the throttle upstream of the unit otherwise the thing would just be moving a lot of air for nothing.

This results in a SotP feel that is pretty transparent. The engine is powerful everywhere in the powerband. There's no surge of power like you get with turbos and centrifugal SC's, or even hot N/A cars. The feel is most often likened to a big-block. You'd never know the engine wasn't considerably larger if you didn't know it was supercharged in the first place.

Clear as mud? :)

Back