Front end problem

Billabong089

This is my dads 93 t-bird NA..he doesnt use it anymore he lets me and my brother use it when our cars break...but this is what it does the wheel shakes side to side..and the whole front of the car shakes...like shimmys...and it pulls really bad to the right...kinda scary to drive..lol what could the problem be? oh and the car has 220,000 miles...engine still runs good..doesnt burn oil...thats ford

Its probably the lower tie rod end. Jack up the car and wobble the tire to see if it has play in it. If so, replace it and get the tires realigned. All in all an easy fix.

First, look at the basic stuff..... front tire out-of-balance? Or maybe a badly warped front brake rotor? Improper alignment will cause it to pull to one side or the other. Also, if the tires have irregular wear patterns (inside edge, outside edge, cupping, etc), this could be a symptom of bad alignment or worn suspension components. It would also cause some of the pulling and shimmy you describe.

my dad is convinced we hit something, that it wouldnt just get like that, and I'm trying to tell him its an old car, with 12 year old suspension parts and things wear out. So I'll try what you guys said today... thanks

Billabong089 said:
my dad is convinced we hit something, that it wouldnt just get like that, and I'm trying to tell him its an old car, with 12 year old suspension parts and things wear out. So I'll try what you guys said today... thanks
In this case, the cure is the same regardless of the cause, isn't it?

Here's what you do: just agree with him; "Yes dad, you're right, we probably hit something.. now lets fix it, shall we?"

"Oh look, it looks like the impact with those cursed potholes, caused this tie-rod end to bend, or these bushings to disintegrate, or these ball joints covers to come apart exposing the metal to the elements and thus rusting them to the point at when they are dangerous to drive on, or this whole arm to become broken; lets replace them and it'll be better".

I sounds like a bad wheel bearing, so be sure to check those.
A lot of shops don't use new axle nuts after they remove them ,so they back off and kill the wheel bearings. Good luck

Back