Rear End Swap Question

LXSC

I'm interested in swapping in a 87-88 Thunderbird rear end in my 90 LX. The reason for this is to do with the increased weight of what I believe to be an 8.8" rear (can anyone verify this?) as well as the fact that it can handle more power. Is this viable swap? I need to know if the rear end is wide enough to fit in a 90 body as well as whether I can mount 16" disc brakes from an SC on it. Thanks to who ever can help.

The 8.8 rear end you are speaking off to try and fit in your bird, is going to have to come from the 89-97 Tbirds....not the 87-88. Those years came with the solid rear axles.

You do have a 7.5 rear end and the 8.8 from our cars will fit. You might need different half shafts though.

16" brakes? I wish! But you should be able to pull the rear disc's off the SC's with no problems. I do not have enough knowledge in that area. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in.

stephen

If your idea is to mount a solid axle rearend from an earlier T-Bird onto an MN-12 car, it's probably a bit more work than you think. There are no provisions in the rear subframe of the 89-up cars to mount a solid axle style suspension. You would have to remove the factory rear subframe, and some parts of the floor pan I suspect to get enough room, then start from there.

An 8.8 diff. housing from an 89-up SC or 91-up V8 car, along with some good halfshafts, should be strong enough to get the job done for you ... there are several SCCoA people who have gone 11s at the drags with those parts.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back