PDA

View Full Version : irs

cstemm
02-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I was under the car today, checking out bushings, found something weird. I think it is called the knuckle, it connects the wheel assembly to the subframe, and the shocks connect into it. anyhow, one of them looks like it is cast, and the other looks like stamped steel. any insight as to why someone would change these, and perhaps which came in the car and which is new, and what the different one would have come from? would this cause problems? thanks chris

Birdman93
02-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Which end of the car are you at??

cstemm
02-16-2004, 01:46 PM
the rear. sorry

Birdman93
02-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Then you should have cast knuckles on both-not sure where the stamped steel one came from-unless a NA V6, maybe?

XR7 Dave
02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
All Tbirds have a cast aluminum knuckle. I think what you are refering to is the lower control arm. The early 89's were stamped steel and the later ones were all cast after that. I don't see where this could be a problem.

gldiii
02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
The knuckle is the upright cast aluminum part that holds the bearing where the half-shaft passes through.

It sounds like you are describing the lower control arm that goes from the bottom of this knuckle back to the rear subframe. I believe only the 89 cars had a stamp steel design for the lower arms. It is made from multiple pieces of stamped steel in a clamshell design.

The later models, 90-on had cast lower arms. Sounds like someone replaced one of the arms on your car with one from a different model SC. The cast arms are supposed to be lighter and stronger than the original stamped steel ones.

cstemm
02-16-2004, 10:25 PM
thanks for the help everybody, makes sence, but why would someone change that, do the stamped ones break or something, or just weight.

gldiii
02-17-2004, 09:38 AM
My only guess would be that the arm got damaged somehow and they just replaced that side with the other style arm. If your car is an 89 that would make finding the original arms more difficult. As far as I know the geometry of the different style arms is the same.