shift kit?

95blackbird

i just got qouted 850$ for my tranny shop to rebuild my AOD and install a shift kit for me, but i dont know what shift kit is the best, ive heard good things about bauman and lentech. Could someone give me some suggestions and the cheapest palce to buy them?

well if going to just do a shift kit go with the transgo. if lookin for a new trans go with a tci streetfighter they are 1200 and come with some great parts, and dont have to worry about the time for a rebuild. i am rebuilding mine with a tci pro superkit, aode reverse and direct drums, have about 600 in it now, without the converter. just my 2 cents though. i have another working aod for sale , not sure on the mileage but it works great and just needs a valve body only asking 100 and converter is included

ps: were did you find a rebuild that cheap, would be willing to meet in toledo if you were intersted in the trans

i just had mine rebuilt with the transgo shift kit. i think they are about $100 from summit racing. i am very pleased with it. or you could take the money you saved and get a lentech valve body. i've heard those are better than a shift kit.

a place called trenton transmission in my city, 550 if i take it out and install it myself, 1050 for them to do the whole shot. also does anyone know how the bauman shift kit is?

LENTECH VALVEBODY!!! The only way to go!!

The Transgo's and B&M's have a tendency to allow WOT shift into OD, which is a very, very bad thing. The Lentech allows you to completely lock out OD, and changes the shift pattern to:

1=1
D=2
OD=3/4

You can hold each gear for as long as you want, and can have a full manual shift function. It is hands down the best mod I've done to my car. I'd take the money you are saving on the rebuild and put it towards a Lentech Street Terminator Valvebody and a nice B&M cooler. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!! Ask anyone who has one. Good luck in your tranny rebuild!

Lentech Automatics

Thomas

Lentech...Lentech...Lentech

Like Thomas said, you won't be sorry. I didn't listen when someone told me to get the Lentech VB and did the Trans-Go thing. It wouldn't hold third on the dyno or the track, I've got the Lentech now and wish I would have listened.

David

>and a nice B&M cooler<

Thomas, I have a Lentech and really enjoy it.

Is a tranny cooler really necessary? (or more insurance)

How often do you change the Tranny oil?
(with and without cooler)

Are you using the B&M cooler in conjunction with stock cooler?
How and were did you put your B&M cooler?

Thank you in advance.
Chris

I'd say it really depends on where you live heat wise as to wether or not it is "neccesary". But when you consider that almost all auto tranny failures are due to heat, and the cost and ease of install of a cooler is, it's pretty cheap insurance. You can get a nice B&M 2400# cooler from Summit for $50. That will be plenty big to keep you cool. It comes with all the stuff to mount it, although I have found that you usually need some exrta cooler line, which can be bought at any parts store. Also, the fittings for the radiator seem to be the wrong thread, so you will want to pick some other ones up also. No big deal though. I mounted mine just infront of the radiator on the lower support. Just drill two small holes and use the scews provided. I do run in conjution to the stock cooler also. Really a good idea to install a cooler, even on a stock car.

Thomas

TRANMISSION OIL COOLERS ARE GREAT!!!!

I have in the past 20 years had several automatics. One of the first things I did on each car was to get an auxiliary tranmission cooler. If you lower you fluid temperature by just 10 to 15 degrees, it almost doubles the life of the fluid and the fluid will not break down. I currently have a large Haydon cooler on my 94 SC and a TRANSGO Shift Kit I installed myself. It was about $60.00 at Auto Zone and took about an hour to install. I live in MD but if you live where it is real hot, a cooler is well worth the money. It is a better investment then a deeper pan.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF and Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires.

for every day driving...when i rebuilt my transmission ($1600 canadian) it lasted a lil while....and was so screwed up, got rebuilt or fixed about 3 times under warrant on the third time around, i added a transgo stage 1 shift kit. My main reasoning for this was to improve shift points on every day driving. Now when going up a huge hill the car doesn't shift into 3rd doing 40km/h lol.

It's nothing over the top, i haven't tested WOT shifts cause....well you gotta be doing about 190+ km/h and haha i don't do that that often.

But my conclusion, is for every day driving i was impressed with the transgo. Shift points before hand like i said we're retarded and now they're a lot better, the car will hold a gear when you step on it although...but it's nothing over the top as in most people won't really notice it

Back