Another Turbo Question

LXSC

I apologize once again for this question and its irrelevance to this forum but I figured I'd ask anyway to see what those of you could help me with. The following is a quote from www.turbomustangs.com

"Effectively, a turbo charged engine is a normally aspirated engine until the turbine and compressor spin up. To minimize turbo lag, it is imperative that the turbine and the compressor are properly matched to the engine as well as the engine being properly matched to the transmission gears, the ring and pinion gears, and the tires."

I imagine that if I wanted to turbocharge my 3.8L NA (around 7-9 psi) I would require at least a T4. What opinions does anyone have on this? But what about the gears? I plan on using an 8.8" rear end from a SC with 3.27 gears. Would the AOD with a shift kit do the trick? Or would the addition of a turbo require more fine tuning like EEC adjustment? Thanks to anyone who can help

That is pretty much true but as with any engine build you must take the time to plan all of it out and be realistic about your goals and the intended use of the car in order to come up with a plan that will work properly.
As for your AOD, if its a NA AOD you will need to build up the tranny to take the extra abuse an SC AOD would be a better choice.
Yes you would have to have some EEC tuning done to make it run right, its easier to make a SC turbo than it is to make an NA Tbird turbo.

if youre gonna run 9psi run a small T3 a T4 would be overkill for such low boost levels and would take longer to spool.

Back