Tranny Questions

LXSC

What are the main differences between a 3.8 L NA AOD tranny and the AOD SC tranny? I assume it has to do with the strength of the input shaft as well as the flywheel. I've set a goal of anywhere from 250-300 hp for my NA AOD. Now what needs to be done? It recently underwent an overhaul about 5,000 km ago. Does this mean that it could be the equivalent to an AODE? I've heard they use the same parts and that when AODs are overhauled, that's how they come out. Once again, thanks to all for your input.

well An AODE is electronically controlled, and the AOD is not. Also the AODE has a lock up torque converter, while the AOD does not. I believe it's possible to convert the AOD to the newer style lockup converter but it would be expensive...if you just paid for a stock rebuild then i'm sure it has not been done.

The differences between NA 3.8 AOD and AOD from a SC are the OD Servo is better, clutches, and OD band are stronger. Your tranny is not equivalent to an AODE. The main difference is the AODE is electronically control. As far as converters go the stock AOD's are all lock ups unless you change the converter over to a non lockup. Your converter will lock up in drive and overdrive.

I would not trust a NA 3.8 AOD behind a motor making 250-300 for too long.
Later
Ken

Thats when the converter locks up like when you release the clutch on a manual tranny. The converter locks the tranny input shaft to the engine crankshaft and it no longer slips allowing direct drive of the tranny input shaft from the crank.
The converter locks in 3rd gear and OD.

Coverter

What kind of converter would help my automatic tranny deal with around 200 hp of punishment? A friend of mine says they can be swapped to allow for more power while improving performance as well.

Back