small internet bug, need help

SC UL8R1990

Ok boys heres what ive got. Every 2 minutes or so, i get the same little pop up window that says this.....

Notification

Notice:
ShopAtHomeSelect is temporarily unavailable for Cash Back rebates. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

....there is only an OK button besides the X to close the window. I dont want to click (ok) for fear of a damn virus or something. But is there a way to track this piece of turd down? what files could i find this little bugger in? My firewall also noticed it and it asked if i wanted to give it permission to access the internet, i keep telling it no.

please help me out, i hate crap like this.

What firewall are you using? I use SystemSuite 5-the NetDefense firewall they include has the ability to backtrace some IPs-but not all.

You may have some spyware in your system-are you using any type of antispyware?

I agree sounds like spyware.

Two programs that I use a lot is "SpyBot" and "Adware", which can be downloaded for free off the internet.

I also use "Pop-Up Stopper", which helps those annoying pop up ads when you are cruising the internet.

its not an average pop-up. i have the pop-up stopper program. i do not use spyware though. I really dont want to download spyware either.....if you could just let me know the file that it locates to delete the spycrap ....please let me know so i can get it out myself.

i know i have to go to run and then type something in but i completey forgot

Manually remove them from the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

i think that may be it, im gunna check that file

Walter, unless I am misunderstanding . . . the two programs I mentioned are not spyware in themselves, they go out and search your computer for any spyware that is on your personal computer.

We had a computer at work that had it real bad, and I was able to clean it up with the two programs that I mentioned.

I hope that helps a little. Sorry, can't help you on what program to run . . . :(

To see if you have Spyware that is "phoning home" without you knowing about it:

From a command prompt:

netstat -a | more

You will see a bunch of things, and without getting into too much detail, is normal. If however, you see something as "ESTABLISHED" and it's an ip address not on your home network and you have no other applications open, something on your PC is communicating to a foreign host.

From another command prompt, run:

nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the suspicious ip address returned from the netstat command previously mentioned. This will at least give you the name or isp of the other box and perhaps determine what app on your PC is using it.

Bottom line, install and run Ad-Aware or Spybot. Did you ever end up doing that?

Hope that helps. . . .

yea im gunna go ahead and download one and clean up i guess, i just dont like them, you can delete important stuff sometimes:(

im scanning with a program called spykiller.................ill post the log when im done in the next couple minutes

Spybot is great I've been using it for over a year now and you wont beleive the spy software that some sites put on your comp.
Spybot has caused no problems for me whatsoever.
Once Spybot scans your comp it will give you a list of all the little spying programs that are on your comp and you can choose what to remove.
I always remove what Spybot recomends and have no problems at all. The program is simple to use and pretty quick. I usually run Spybot once a week because sites will continue installing the spy programs to your comp when you visit them.
You're gonna be suprised when you see what some websites are doing to your comp.;) :)

mine is scanning right now....i may need some help identifying the right files to delete.

UPDATE: heres my log , think i found the Shopathome bug....

C:\WINDOWS\System32\SahAgent.exe

do i want to delete that?

i really dont want to mess up my computer by deleting something in the windows folder......is that definitley the one i need to get rid of?

Last edited:
Thats why I like Spybot better than anything else. I'm a dummy when it comes to software and Spybot will show you what stuff its safe to remove by highlighting it in green in the list.
Stuff thats iffy it will highlight in red and you can decide wether to remove it or not. I've never gotten any red highlighted stuff yet.
I could'nt tell you what all is safe to remove I let Spybot tell me that and its worked well for me.:)

I'm sorry I told you wrong. Spybot will list everything spying on you in red. The ones that are known safe to remove have a check mark in the box beside the listing automaticly. The ones that arent checked with the mark you must decide if you are going to remove. After you remove the offenders the list will then turn green on all the items Spybot removed.
I've not run up on any that were not checked with a mark yet so I cant advise you on that.

Back