Tips on Buying 1995 SC-5 SPD

ezgoing

I am looking into possibly buying a very nice 1995 SC - 5 spd with only 84K miles and all the goodies. It appears to run great with the exception of an intermittent "check engine" light appearing on the dash.

What should I be looking for on this car that may be a potential problem that could cost many $$$?

THanks

EZGOING

CE light

Man i hate that light... that thing can go on for any number of reasons. best thing to do is to drive the car and just pay attention to it. If you are good with cars, or you have a code reader, run the codes on it and it should tell you why that light is on. If not, then just take it to a mechanic and have them run the codes and look over everything. Places charge money to check it over, sometimes a few hundred for a complete check up but it's DEFINITELY worth it. it can save u alot in the long run. good luck, the 95 5spd cars are the rarest!
Damon

I have a 95 5speed that had an intermittent CE light. It turned out to be code 214 (cylinder identification fault). The nice people on this sight directed me to change the cam sensor. It cost me 60 bucks from Ford. If you haven't bought it yet, see if the guy will let you or you and him drive it over to an Autozone (if you have one in the area) and they will run the codes for free.

ezgoing said:
I am looking into possibly buying a very nice 1995 SC - 5 spd with only 84K miles and all the goodies. It appears to run great with the exception of an intermittent "check engine" light appearing on the dash.

What should I be looking for on this car that may be a potential problem that could cost many $$$?

THanks

EZGOING

Well, just tell me where the car is at, and how much I should bring....urr....i mean how much they want for it and I will look it over for you! ;)

ezgoing said:

THanks

EZGOING

My '94 had an intermittent CE light recently. I replaced the O2 sensors, and the light hasn't come back since, and car also seems to run a lot better now as well.

'95 SC

Ezgoing

If you want, I'd be game to take a look at it for what it's worth. I'm only "over the mountain" from Carlisle, and am on my second SC (the first is now in AZ with close to 200k on it. If it's on a Saturday or Sunday I generally have access to a code reader, lift, etc.

E-mail me at wrgoudy@earthlink.net if interested.

put a piece of electrical tape over check engine light and keep driving...lol...j/k.if u really like that car,best thing to do is pay 69.95 to local ford dealer and see what code it is spitting out.or if u have a buddy that works as mechanic at ford dealer like i do it only cost $20 and for a 6 pack of beer he puts the new sensor in for u.if u do take ur car to dealer to get this done maybe go around to the back side where the mechanics hang out and smoke their cigs.and just chat with them and then just ask them if they do work on the side.most all of them do. saves u tons of money in the long run and u get it fix by someone that works at the dealer and works on them all the time and knows them inside and out. :)

AutoZone will read them for free. Just get the code # and post on here. That way, you'll know in more detail what is wrong, instead of what the AZ clerk thinks is wrong.

haynes computer book

since no one mentioned this book, i'm assuming that everyone had the basic manual for their car, thought it was crap, and never used haynes again. they suck. except for the computer book. it's extremely easy to get the codes out of your car. thunderbirds, and cougars are the same. that is the only haynes manual i recommend buying. for anything else, you need a helm or ford shop manual.

Back