Novi SC'd 347 stroker for my '95 SC

dklitzke

Greetings,
I have a '95 SC/auto right now with 110k on it. It sports the full SCP exhaust, 5% overdrive pulley, a few other minor upgrades (thermostat and Magnacore plug wires) and an Apten chip.

Anyway, I plan to drive this car for several hundred k more, so I am researching options for upgrading the power. Here is the preliminary assessment: I want to definitely go with a stroked small block V-8 in a low profile package that will fit under the stock hood. Well, EUREKA! I think I've found what I am looking for at D&D Motorsports: dndmotorsports.com is where to look if anyone is interested. Here's the engine I'm considering:

It's the Novi supercharged 342 stroker which comes as almost a complete drop in package including the longblock, Novi kit, TB, 80mm MAF, timing cover, valve covers, etc, etc. read the ad & you'll see about the only parts you'll need engine-wise are water pump, motor mounts, headers, air intake setup and ingnition. It's amazing what you get for the price ($9995), considering what it would cost to recondition the hi-mileage V-6 and to do desired MP upgrades. This seems like a much better route to me. And it would still be an "SC", only a much more powerful "SC".I called and asked if these engines were set up for street accessories/serpentine belt and they are. The power is awesome-well over 500 HP at the wheels, on pump gas, too. All premium stuff, bullet-proof bottom end, aluminum heads, roller rockers, ARP hardware, etc.

My concerns are throttle linkage, ignition and some plumbing issues. Dave at D&D says you can take an ignition wiring harness from a Mustang 5.0 donor car. A different oil pan than the Canton pan supplied with the long block would also be required.

All in all, a very powerful setup. Stealth too, as this should all fit under the stock hood. I would do away with the intercooler, and put in a large aluminum radiator, and some V-8 rated springs when I redo the suspension. But it will be awhile yet before I am ready, so I will be shopping for someone closer to where I live in Tennessee, D&D is in California. But the price for the package sounds reasonable. I will probably have it tuned at Apten in St. Louis after it put together. The other concern is what vanity license plate to run!!!! I wish you could shrink down "Viper, Schmiper" to fit, heh heh!!!

One other thing that may bode well for the future is that the new Mustang has a 5-speed automatic, which would be cool to bullet-proof and put in an SC.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

I checked the site out, and didnt see any reference to an SC'ed stroker engine under the "motors" section, nor did I on the rest of their site. Do they have any info about it online, or would we have to contact them?

You may want to look in TCCoA or MN12Performance for all the spring rates. You have the highest spring rate there is from factory. I believe the 302 birds were a lighter weight car. I had one in 91. Aftermarket Heavier springs are available as well from Suspension Tech and Eiboch and others you will find. ADDCO sway bars are good and can get a discount through TCCoA.

Hit search button here in SCCoA because XR7Dave and Maybe DamonSlowpoke........? have threads discussing small block V8 swap. Dave likes to get a donar tbird with the 302 and use many compnenets. Maybe the oil pan will work for you.

Good to see some fresh blood and wanting V8s. Looks like we will have quit a few in next yr or 2.

Yes, there are some things that you will need from a 5.0 Tbird. Things like motor mount brackets and such. Thing is you can't' buy them new anymore so you pretty much have to find a donor car to start out with. When you consider that a donor car will have all the wire harnesses, computer, ignition, waterpump, oil pan, etc., a 5.0 Tbird at $300-600 is a bargain.

Unless you really have an itch to hack up your car you will need to get a 5.0 Tbird first. Then you have the issues of hood clearance and accessory clearance to deal with as the the engine bay of the MN12 is much smaller than a Fox or even SN95 Mustang.

Heed note also that the 4.6 tranny will NOT fit a 5.0 based motor.

Other than that, fire away! :D

Dumb question but what is a SN95 Mustang?

Saw it used a lot on Corner Cutters forum and not even with Mustang ref but I figured that much. Don't know those guys well enough to ask I guess.:(

How to find D&D SC'd Motor

Thanks you guys for the info. Now, to get to the motor I'm talking about on the D&D website, go to dndmotorsports.com, then click Catalog, Motors, and scroll down. There are two different strokers that come Novi supercharged, a 327 and a 342 C.I., both are priced at $9995.00. They include a LOT of parts. Like I said earlier, almost a complete drop-in motor. Balanced, blueprinted, premium components. If you ask me, it looks like a REAL good deal, considering the price to do an SC V-6 right. Plus, the power in that thing is AWESOME!

I have a friend in the used car business who is regularly buying his cars from auto auctions. I am definitely going to ask him to keep an eye peeled for a 5.0 T-Bird, and tell him to buy one that doesn't cost too much. What years should I ask him to look for???

I'll also do a thread search, and start collaborating with the people who've done the swap, plus, I'm gonna join the TCCoA, and glean some info from there.

By the way, in my zeal to prepare to restore my car with the existing motor, I bought a complete factory SC engine wiring harness including fuel injection harness, and also a set of stock springs. Now that I'm going in a different direction, I'll offer up those items for sale one of these days, for those who are interested.

My plan is to do the swap myself, then have the computer work and proper tuning done by an expert, like Brian up there in St. Louis.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

Re: How to find D&D SC'd Motor

dklitzke said:
I have a friend in the used car business who is regularly buying his cars from auto auctions. I am definitely going to ask him to keep an eye peeled for a 5.0 T-Bird, and tell him to buy one that doesn't cost too much. What years should I ask him to look for???

91-93 had the 5.0.

If you plan to work with APTEN .You might find that the cost of a 2003
Cobra would not be much higher price than a blown pushrod motor.
If you have a 95 bird,the 4 valve mod-motor will bolt up.And you will
start of with 400hp.And since you all ready have a Cobra ,two cars
with the same power will be easier to maintain.And you can pump
the bird up to 500hp and be more reliable than a 302 base motor.

BRAD DOERR did a swap of a 4 valve motor from a lincoln VIII.
He is on the TCCoA Name 4 cam bird something like that,

RANDY

Last edited:
Randy is right as usual. Then you will be able to use that 5spd auto you were thinking of. Remember though, the 4.6 bellhousing is totally different than the 3.8-5.0.

If you do go with a 5.0 based motor you need a 93 5.0 for your car. DO NOT get a 91-92.

Here's link to the engine.

http://www.dndmotorsports.com/?page...a&ps_session=c21bb435e8a9593bcfb4f977957c6ee9

I don't think your going to make 680 hp very often without the block splitting down the middle, but at 500 hp it should hold up good. If your planning to duplicate the Tbird 5.0 engine, you will need a special timing cover for use with the Tbird accesories. You may also want to confirm that the supercharger kit they list will fit in a Thunderbird. I don't think it will without relocating the alternator and cutting a hole in the passenger side fender.

Good luck with the install, I'm just getting started with a 347 turbo for my 93 SC.

David

Back