tell me what you think

92redsc

this is the list of mods i want to do to put my car up against some of the v8 guys. there are a couple of cars i would like to be able to beat. a newer pontiac gtp, 5.0 mustangs, older tpi 350 camaros and birds. tell me if this is a good set up.

1. gutted cats and 2.5-3-2.5 inch exhaust (SCP setup)
2. magnaport2 SC with highflow plenum and 5% overdrive
3. removed air scilencer with K&N panel (dont want to spend money on a CAI)
4. bigger TB and mass air (what size????)
5. sticky stock size street tires (Brand???)

Cant think of any thing else. i dont know if i want to do gears because i need good gas milage, but what size for the mods? what kind of HP and tourque and track times do you think ill get, and any thing else you see i could get? thanks

I think that is a very good start, on the TB and Maf I would determine how far you want to go with your mods and plan for the future. If your goal is mid to low 14's I think a 70-73 Maf and 70mm TB would be enough. However if you want more than that I would go 75mm on each. Also, you may want to invest in an upgraded intercooler and IC fan. If you are planning on much more than you listed you may want to check out upgraded fuel injectors. With the items you listed you should be able to run with and beat the cars you listed (if they are stock).

ok thanks, a couple of revisions again as i am still finding out things on the parts. i have decided to go with the SCP 3.5 inch fresh air system with the 9 inch k&n cone. i was think about the fuel (thanks brandon) and how about a 190 lph pump and 38 lb injectors? will this effect highway driving gas milage at all? my goal is ultimatly high 13s, but that will be with some wider wheels and tires which will likely be over a year away. im trying for mid-low 14s with this set of upgrades. so a pro-m 75mm mass air and a bbk 75mm TB is what im looking at. also no 5% overdrive on the blower as i suspect it will be flowing like no other. do you think the below upgrades and the above revisions will do this?

and on the fan i would think that after you are going faster than the fan can flow it would actually hurt performance. i have a little money to spend but im trying to keep it as real as possible and still very drivable and get good gas.

Because you are asking for opinions (you know what that's like)... just had my car upgraded, completed break-in of new block. Thought I'd share my thoughts on what my mods did for mine. (sorry in advance for being so long winded)

I also have a '92 5 spd. It's a scorcher, though I can't give you times, as i don't drag race, and will gladly provide dyno results as soon as I get pulls done (hopefully next week). I can only tell you that I also own a 2002 GTP, and this car would blow it off the road.

Wheel hop can be bad news depending on how hard you punch it, though.

New short block from Ford. Stieg heads and cam (I don't have cam spec handy), w/1.73 roller rockers, Bosch matched 42# inj, 87mmPro-M MAF, 85mm MP Tb, 3.5 intake tubes and K&N, ARP head studs, ported SC by MP, MP inlet plenum, 190lph fuel pump, 2.5x3x2.5 exh w/o cats, raised top, MP IC kit with pusher and puller fans, 180F tstat, Magnecor wires, new plugs, new O2 sensors, new IAC, mid-length headers, BHJ balancer, underdrive pulley set, 10% SC pulley, 4.2 head gaskets, and chip by APTEN. Previously lowered 1-1/2" w/Eibach and Illuma II's, poly bushing set from SC Perf, heavy duty u-joints, PBR 10.8" dual piston calipers, solid tranny mount, poly diff mount, 1-1/8" rear sway bar, front end rebuild, and new wheel hub bearings, clutch job (stock), stock rims w/Pirelli P-6000 tires, and on and on.

Impressions:
It's a wild animal!
I find the cam too aggressive for normal street driving, but mostly because it has to be set to idle at 950-1000 rpm to stay running stable and not lope so much as to be a nuisance. Vacuum at idle is 9"hg. The roller rockers make noise, and so do the injectors. But, that's really only noticeable at idle to low speeds. It sounds mean, it is mean. It loves to rev! It likes >3000 rpm a lot, and flys to 6000 rpm (and beyond, if you want). It doesn't like cruising at 1500 to 1700rpm much, which is something that I used to like to do, like putting it in 4th gear at say 40-45mph. The MP SC porting/rebuild does the job, but the penalty is a very loud whine when you nail it. Its new sound turns heads when you nail it, too. I am more careful than ever around our law enforcement friends now, because when it's making noise, it's moving fast.

The tuning isn't complete, as I still can't keep engine idling with AC on, and it will kill or try to kill if I clutch before letting engine speed go to 1100-1200 rpm on a deceleration. Brian at Apten plans to fix this once I get him the dyno pull info and he tunes the chip.

But, here's a pleasant surprise.... I tested the mileage during break-in and after. Around town, with mixed interstate driving and a lot of foot in the pedal - 15.5 mpg. On the road, cruising 75 mph predominantly, with 12-15 times nailing it to the floor off the line (when I stopped thru towns) and when passing at speeds I shouldn't admit to, 22.3mpg!!!!! I was flat impressed.

hope this info gives you another vantage point to consider.

For tires, i would go with nitto drags if you are looking for dr's and street use. I have them on my car now and i love them. Now i do believe the bfg dr's will launch a bit better, but they also have a softer compound and they will wear faster than the nitto's. I have had my nittos on for a whole summer and still have over half the tread left and thats with going to the track about six to eight times.

Walter, if i only had that much money, thats how i would spend it :) i like it very much. one question does your car run hot with that intercooler kit? i would like to see the dynos very much.

and bird, what size radials are you using, and are they on the stock rims? i want to put them on the stock rims so thats why im asking. thanks and keep it coming

I kinda messed up when i ordered my tires they are 245/50. They add a little more room to the wheel base gap. So it looks a bit weird, but im looking to buy rims next year so i guess i will live with it for now. I would go with the stock size for the best look. But i have heard that 255/45 looks good on our cars my buddy had them on his stock mustang rims and looked about equal height to my stock tires. But nitto does not make that size, but BFG does. The reason I chose nittos is because they are supposed to last longer than BFG's and they are more stable at high speeds then the BFG's also. But if you have extra rims i would go with BFG's but if your looking to run them on your car all the time for racing and driving i would go with the nittos.

Walter,

That's a 340-360 rwhp / 12 second engine your describing. I'm sure it is a monster on the streets.

IMO, your going to burn it up faster than you can hit the rev limiter if you don't get a bigger fuel pump. You need a 255 lph minimum, but would be much better off with a 255 lph high pressure/forced induction pump.

It's a direct replacement for the pump you have but flows about twice the volume under high pressure. You existing pump will not support the fuel reqirements of that engine under boost.

David

i just saw a post on this site that said a mid to low 14 is very easy to get when modding your SC. what is he talking about as i have around $3000 in parts im fixing to buy and instal and its only getting me to a low 14. whats an easier way? and i think i am going to go with this list, just not sure about 2 things.
1. will the 38lb injectors and 190lph fuel pump be enough?
2. what size tires to get, because the only 16 inch DR nitto makes is a 245/50/16 so im looking at mabey some sticky 225/60/16s that willl last until i get my new rims.

It's easy to get to the mid to low 14's but I don't know if anyone believes it is cheap! For a good basis for doing your mods look at the member pages, many people have their 1/4 mile times posted with mods. Perhaps you could get a good indication of where you want to be by following someone elses lead? I know it is frustrating as I am just starting to mod my 94 myself, there are several ways to go and not really any clear cut ways to get there. Also I know there is information in a post somewhere in these forums which give guidlines for recommended sizes of fuel injectors and pump in relation to mods done, maybe try a search and pore through what others have posted.

Good luck

92redsc said:
Walter, if i only had that much money, thats how i would spend it :) i like it very much. one question does your car run hot with that intercooler kit? i would like to see the dynos very much.

hard to tell on temp so far, it's been cool pretty much every day since I got it running. Compared to before, it's real cool with the 180 t-stat, and it stays way down the gauge even on days that have gone to the mid-70's. I have left the pusher fan off to keep some heat in the engine for normal running. It would have been running much higher up the gauge with the old engine, even now.

Back