Attaching flywheel to converter ??

Jeff Bratton

Is there an easier way to mate these two together? I took my engine out and left the tranny in. Having problems lining up the 4 bolts to the holes to the flywheel. Too much hoses, vacuum lines in the way to get a good eye to actual see what the heck I'm trying to line up. I have a aftermarket ART CARR 10" Converter. Was thinking of making some kind of alignment marks or something!

Any suggestions would be helpful please!

Thank You!

Jeff B.

There is no easy way. I've never tried to put it in that way. If the engine mounts are bolted to the engine, I don't know if it will ever line up. Lets call it a flexplate instead of flywheel since its an AOD and not a 5speed.
Even thought you can leave the trans in place when you take the engine out, you still have to basicly take it out to bolt it to the engine.
Normally you move the trans back by dropping the diff and getting the driveshaft out of the way by sliding it over the lowered diff. Install the engine, attach the trans, install the drive shaft into the back of the trans, bolt the diff back up, bolt the driveshaft to the diff.
Be sure to get the TC fully engaged by pushing it into the trans. When it is all the way in, it will spin freely and will not extend past the face of the bellhousing. I always use 1 jack for the engine and one for the trans to get them to line up.
DO NOT try to use bellhousing bolts to pull everything together!
I have seen the oil pan crack from that stress.
I also use a big ratchet or breaker bar to turn the crank (only clockwise) to put the TC bolts into the flexplate.
No matter how you look at it, its a hard job so just take you time.
Good luck

Ive done this 50 like times. Autos are easy. On the coverter put the bolt at the top. One the flex plate put the hole at the top. Use grease on the center of the coverter that lines up whith the crank. Jack up the trans almost as high as you can and slip the motor in tilted a little to the back with the motor mounts in. slowly lower the motor and trans a little at a time on each. Once the dowels are lined up. drowl undr and make sure the coverter is lined up whith the holes and start some of the bolts. bring up even on both side making sure converter is ok. as long as the motor you are useing is not out of a stick and dose not have the pilot berring you will be all set.

Thanks guys ... I came home last night after work and re-aligned the flywheel (or flexplate) whatever you guys want to call it. drew some marks on the flywheel and top of block and tried it all again and backed that puppy right in there. Having those marks to align things helped.... let me tell you it works 100% better. No need to take the tranny out or nothing.

Thank You!!

Jeff B.

Back