Getting an Sc with blown HGs

Thomas95SC

Its a 94 auto. Its in great condition. Im picking it up Thursday morning and towing from Houston to Beaumont on a trailer. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but this is the only one I could find in the area. I can already replace the head gaskets so I wont have to worry about them. While im at it, im thinking about porting the exhaust a little bigger to help it breath better. Polishing the intakes for better air flow. I dont know a whole lot about exhaust set ups but im thinking for sure better headers, high flow cats, and im not sure about the resonator or mufflers. Tb88 IC gaskets. Any other ideas would be great. I'll taking pics of the whole thing for sure. I'll keep posting as I go along.

Good find, I did the same thing about 4 months ago. Picked up a 1990 w/ blown head gaskets. I was looking for one that needed work for something to do in the long New England winter. I went all out and pulled the motor and did a full rebuild. Some things you want to look for are the condition of your motor mounts. They tend to split in half after very little miles and years causing the engine to sit an inch lower causing all sorts of problems. Look at milling the heads and decking the block for the best seal for the new head gaskets too. I spent a lot of money but now everything is done. New pistons, rings, bearings, timing set, lifters, pushrods, valve job, water pump, belts, hoses, clutch, motor mounts, tranny mount, exhaust (all the way back, flowmaster) radiator, o2 sensors, k&n air filter, ported exaust mainifolds, battery, etc, etc, etc. The point I'm trying to make is I couldn't do any of this without the help of the people on this site. I knew nothing about SC's when I bought this car. Which reminds me, I think it's time to join this site now. Good luck.

I really wouldn't worry about headers at this point. I would just port the stock manifolds and be done with it. You can easily make over 300rwhp on ported stockers. You can spend that $600+ somewhere else.

Thomas

The car starts and runs. Its runs a little rough but I think thats due to the plugs fouling. The guy already said that he replaced the motor mounts in it. Im going to start tearing down the engine today.

Dittos to 35th on having the heads surfaced;
"IF" you're doing a full engine rebuild,
deck the block, too, and balance the assembly.

I would take the time to clean up the ports,
especially exhaust side,
and unshroud the exhaust valves,
replace valve guide seals of course.
If you decide on a cam over .500 lift,
use some crane or compcams springs.

Performance cam regrind works wonders on the 94-95;
the late models have the weakest stock cam.
Search previous strings for specs,
but something like 210/220 @ .510
will wake 'em up pretty good.
Earlier SC cam [113*lca] makes the best core.

Dittos to Thomas on ported exhaust manifolds;
High flow cats and Magnaflow resonator,
something like SCP exhaust can be fabricated by
a competent exhaust shop, on the cheap.

Might want to consider a new crank damper;
this is a common failure point, too.
BHJ damper, if you can spare the greenbacks.

Save back some bucks for a built trans;
the 94 4r70ws need help, for SC Tork.

Vernon Cradier and TBird88
are great sources to know in SE Texas;
If you haven't looked them up, you should.

I got started today on the tear down. Man, they sure did COMPACT everything in there. I've never had so much trouble getting bolts and studs removed. It took 2 1/2 hrs to remove the intake elbow, inlet tube and throttle body! All the parts that I remove get taken inside my apt to be further torn down, cleaned, and inspected.

Back