What transmission do I have?

93superbird

dumb question..but bare with me

Just bought my 93 superbird from my older bro...has transmission problems. I was wonderin if it is at all possible to replace the automatic trans with a manual? and if not...what kind of trans would I look for in a junk yard or somethin along those lines?:confused:

what kind of trans problems are you having? if it's shifting really soft and kinda slipping it could be just the TV cable out of adjustment or broken or disconnected .......but even if that's all it is you will bake your tranny down if you drive it that way long. the AOD is really a pretty reliable tranny, if you decide to try a junkyard trans, i would try to find one at least from a V8 car if you can't find one from an SC....rather than just a N/A 3.8. The AOD used behind the SC or the 5.0 is gonna be much beefier inside to take the torque....one from a regular 3.8 would fit but may not last long because it was not designed to take that much torque. As far as putting a 5 speed in, while anything is possible, i've found that those projects always turn out to be more trouble than they are worth. If you want a 5 speed SC, sell your AOD car and buy a 5 speed.....it's not like you can't find one...

If you need to verify wether or not it's an AOD from a SC, just look on the top of it towards the bellhousing. There should be a large "A" on it.

Thomas

transmission replacement

use a tranny from a v8??? isn't the bolt pattern different??? i am looking at changing mine and here's what i have found.

new driveshaft, u joints, clutch, clutch pedal (any tbird sc or a mustang pedal will work with minor modifications), slave cylinder (if you want to use a hydraulic clutch like i plan to, $100), transmission mount, new exhaust (you may be able to mod part of yours, flywheel, *maybe* starter (i haven't got this far), aluminum hydraulic tubing, and a shifter.

hopefully i didn't forget anything. you will want to get a special shifter, like the ones that were on the mid 80's cougars. they look like an s. i guess it's not really special, just different. when you put in the manual tranny, it will sit an inch or 2 further foward, so if you try to use a straight shifter, your hand will hit the console when it is in 1st, 3rd, or 5th.

the speed sensor should be the same, but you will need a new gear to calibrate your speedometer.

as for what kind, i have been told that a t-5 for a 6 cylinder will work, but the bolt pattern for a t5 is different for 6 and 8 cyliders. also i had a friend tell me (i don't know, but he is pretty reliable with car info) that the factory tranny for the 5spd sc's uses can be rebuilt with f150 parts which are tougher. even still i would rather have a t5 or a t45.

i know this thread is old, but maybe it will help someone.

if your looking to replace the trans I have a good one here that has a fresh rebuild on it. It has been taking up my shop space for four or five months so needless to say you could get it pretty cheap.

sendeth said:
use a tranny from a v8??? isn't the bolt pattern different???

The 3.8/4.2/5.0 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The 4.6/5.4 use a different bellhousing bolt pattern.

-Rod

chadder1313 said:
Is there a way you can tell the 3.8 N/A tranny from the SC?

Thomas A said:
If you need to verify wether or not it's an AOD from a SC, just look on the top of it towards the bellhousing. There should be a large "A" on it.

Thomas

-Rod

P.S. - Since when does a reply have to be at least 10 characters long?

racecougar said:
-Rod

P.S. - Since when does a reply have to be at least 10 characters long?

Since I've been on here.. I tried to just post a "Smilie" and got my wrist slapped.. :D

Back