brakes

hawk

hey guys,
I have a 89 t/bird sc that i have to replace the abs pressure switch on. Is there a way to replace it without taking the system out, if not what are the correct steps to taking the system out?
thank you
hawk

do you mean that plug that threads onto the aluminum block about a foot down below the master cylinder? If so, it's available at the dealer. Not cheap though.

just take out the old one, and screw in the new one. make sure you have the o-ring in place and you should be fine.

Might want to bleed the brakes though. I did when i changed mine.

BTW, brake fluid will continuously leak out of there while you're swapping the part.

yea, i got the part, thought i could change it without removing the abs system, wondered if there is any shortcut besides taking the complete system off.
hawk

If you find one, let me know. I have to remove the ABS System AGAIN, and I've done it 3 times already, and there's just no room to get to it without pulling it. Thought someone got to it with one of those special $50 socket.

BlueThunder90 explained how to pretty good at a previous post...
How To Remove ABS M/C?

Get plenty of rags, and use some "Flare Nut Wrenches" for the lines. Flashlight and 1/2" DEEP under the dash. Angled "All" (Pointy Screwdriver) to help unplug all the electrical connectors helps too...good time for drivers plugs when it is out.

You can do It Bobby!

I did it last month to replace my switch. Got my switch from a junkyard SC.

Tip: LX birds had that ABS option(some, not many were sold) so I paid approx. $0:).

Yea It can be done but the IC tubes come off. The brake lines are slightly bent to the side but I didn't remove them. Get pair of Robogrip pliers and get to crankin' unless you have the socket which I didn't have.

There's some intial torque required on your part but once its busted loose it usually will come out by had as the fluid will lube the threads.

Be careful as this technique is somewhat ghetto-style and at your own risk. I busted my reservoir connector so I have to get another reservoir to replace that connector but brakes work great. I was happy that I did'nt have to pull the whole unit out:)

GL.

Re: You can do It Bobby!

tbirdboy said:
I did it last month to replace my switch. Got my switch from a junkyard SC.

Tip: LX birds had that ABS option(some, not many were sold) so I paid approx. $0:).

Yea It can be done but the IC tubes come off. The brake lines are slightly bent to the side but I didn't remove them. Get pair of Robogrip pliers and get to crankin' unless you have the socket which I didn't have.

There's some intial torque required on your part but once its busted loose it usually will come out by had as the fluid will lube the threads.

Be careful as this technique is somewhat ghetto-style and at your own risk. I busted my reservoir connector so I have to get another reservoir to replace that connector but brakes work great. I was happy that I did'nt have to pull the whole unit out:)

Well guys i got the pressure switch on for the ABS system. tried everything but no wrench would go on with out being against the pump motor. was scared of messing that up so i had to pull it. thanks for all your advice, funny thing is, after i pulled that ABS system i never even hd to bleed the brakes. thanks
hawk
GL.

Back