Electrical Fiasco- Suggestions?

swissboy97

When I bought the 90 SC, it came with this extra wire on the driver's side. The plug on the end of the wire was the same size as the one on the cigarette light adapter used for my radar detector. One day my dad plugged it in and sure enough the thing worked like a champ. It seems the previous owner hardwired a radar detertor wire into the car. Well, just the other day I went to plug it in and I heard a zap like static electricity. I thought id fried my radar detector, but when i used the original cigarette light adapter it worked fine. Turning on the car, I noticed some of my instrument lights didnt come on :( Here are the non working items:

Firm Ride light (and thus the ability to change into firm mode)
Rear Defrost (pressing button doesnt turn on defrost)
Oil Change Indicator lights
Fluid Level Indicator lights

The rest of the idiot lights in the dash work, even the ones on the same side as the firm ride light. The cigarette lighter jack works as well. I studied the electrical diagrams, but I couldn't find a correlation between these parts. Is it possible there's an internal fuse somewhere that blew? Am i jsut missing a fuse or wire that all these parts are connected to? Ive taken out the wire that zapped. The red was connected to a small link of wires thats mounted on my steering column down by the petals, and the black was connected to a ground wire thats to the left of the cigarette lighter jack (had to be accessed by taking off some panels). If anyone has any idea what might have happened, please let me know.

PS I can post a picture of where the wire was installed if it will help.

"gauge" fuse

I looked in both fuse boxes, but didn't see a fuse specifically labeled gauge. The closest I could see was labeled "cluster" which was in the driver side interior fuse box. Might there be a difference in fuse labeling in the 90 model, or am did i just miss the label?

Thanks,

alex

Back