Something is wrong with my accelerating...

SpaceGhost

it was fine this morning, then i drove it in the afternoon and when i accelerated pushing the pedal down about 3/4 of the way down, my boost gauge went up to about 17 psi, and the car was accelerating pretty slow...

also, if i rev it up, it sounds like something is rattling underneath the car, so i think something might be loose.. just wondering if anyone on here knows what i should look for. i think it might be an exhaust bolt getting lose or something.

that rattle'n noise might be catalytic material in the cats that came loose this would also explain your high boost and no go problem, a clogged exhaust will overboost your engine and blow hg's also check your resonator it to could be erroded inside causeing the chambers to hinder exhaust flow.

Hey SpaceGhost where at in Worthington do live at? Maybe I could come and look at it? I am not to fare from you (Hilliard), and wouldn't mind helping a fellow SCer out.

Shane

I agree that it sounds like a cat gone bad. I would drive the car very very gently until you get them replaced. Ford only sells the complete unit with both cats and the resonator for about $750cdn plus installation before I knew better. You may as well take this opportunity to install a pair of hi-flows that don't clog, stead of factory ones and save your money. Good luck

One time I had the same thing happen, turned out to be a loose throttle valve cable. Punched it, got full boost, but no downshift or speed. Try that.

quick35th said:
Hey SpaceGhost where at in Worthington do live at? Maybe I could come and look at it? I am not to fare from you (Hilliard), and wouldn't mind helping a fellow SCer out.

Shane
I live about 2-4 minutes away from Polaris

I have another question. If there is something that is loose, like my resonater is hardly connected to the muffers, could that be effecting anything like acceleration and giving me more boost?

It works the other way around, if you have a big exhaust leak or no exhaust at all, the boost goes down. High boost is back pressure and 15+ is too much, it can not get out the tail pipes fast enough so the only thing it can do is go back through the engine usually through the head gaskets. Thats why I say to stay out of boost until you can find out where the blockage is and fix it. To much boost and overheating kills 3.8s faster than anything.
If you feel the need for acceleration (flooring it), you might consider removing the supercharger belt until you get it fixed.
Good luck

Last edited:
i wouldnt gut the cats. I had the exact same thing as you, internals of my cat came loose from the housing so i cut it out, guttet it, and welded it back in. and although it doesnt have the rattling from before, it has another sound, not as loud, but definatly noticable!!

If the problem is with my exhaust, which i think it is, i'm getting the Force II exhaust kit. Are the Magnaflow Performance Hi-Flow 2.25" In/Out Catalytic Converter's the cats i need?

I think that's the cat of choice. You can always eliminate the cats with down tubes instead. Hard to do if you have emissions though.

35th T-bird SC said:
I think that's the cat of choice. You can always eliminate the cats with down tubes instead. Hard to do if you have emissions though.
no emissions here.

should i get the cats with the air tube or no air tube? i don't know what an air tube is :eek: they're the same price

Back