Radiator fan problem

Stelar SC

My fan hasent been going on lately. I was just checking up my coolant and trying to get more air out of the system, and i left the car idling. While it was idling i was cleaning the engine, just disting it and polishing some stuff. All of a sudden the fan goes on, so im like "wow it finally worked". Then i go look at the temp and its at 260 degrees!!!. I dont know why my fan doesnt turn of sooner or anything. I was thinking it could be the sender, and while the car was idling before it overheated i unpluged what i though was the sender (the grey plug that is going into one of the heater lines right by the passanger side firewall, and the fan didnt turn on. i hate this car

ya dude, stock fan temps suck big time. even after you put a lower temp thermostat. some people have had moderate results doing a number of things...lower thermo, water wetter, etc, but it looks like it works for a bit and then its back to high temps. Only way you can tell the fan to cut on sooner is with a chip/eec tuner (chips suck and cost lotsa $$) , or what many have opted to do is just manually control the fan with a switch or by cutting a wire from the IRCM that will have their low speed be on at all times when the ignition is on.

aah..just saw you have a 94. What i did on my 94 was I rewired teh pusher fan on the outside of the radiator to a switch and it helps out the temps, but only when working with the bigger rad fan. I tried using that pusher fan alone and it makes no difference, but when used with the big fan it cools much quicker.

Last edited:
Hello

Hello,
You might want to swap out the IRCM.
That was my problem.
Running while car was off, not running when the temp got too high.
Laterz,
D Rainer

The SC has a two speed fan. Low speed is set to come on when the EEC sees coolant temps of 221. High speed is supposed to trip when the eec sees around 228.

How are you determining it's at 260? If you are certain that your number is accurate you may have one or two problems. #1 would be that the coolant sensor feeding the EEC may be faulty, giving it lower than actual readings. #2 - The low speed winding , or the low speed relay may have failed for your fan.

The plug to the fan has 3 terminals. One is ground. One is high speed, and one is low speed. You can jumper 12 volts to the low speed, and then the high speed to verify the fan works. Just watch your hands in there.

(chips suck and cost lotsa $$)
First of all why do you say that if anything there one of the best things you can do wether you use a chip or a tuner.
Now to the real problem here it sounds like your eec temp sensor is gone. low speed comes on with AC and the High speed is turned on with the EEC at 228.
Now with a 94 I think you can set when both fans come on.

Jason, read my post carefully. I said that the only way to have the fan cut on sooner is a chip SLASH EEC tunner...then i state my opinion on chips ALONE in paranthesis "(chips suck and cost lotsa $$)" ...never did I say anything bad about eec tuners. Why?

according to mn12performance.com eec tuner costs $375 plus shipping. That lets perform countless changes to your eec...or pay a few bux to have some one do it if you cant do your own programs.

according to supercoupeperformance.com a chip 'starts' at around $300 for a ONE TIME burn...did you change settings? need a new chip?...dish out another $300....fine, maybe u can find then for $200

I agree with you on the point that they're one of the best things you can do to our rides, but I wouldnt dish out the 200-300 bux on a chip when a new eec tuner is $375

Back