coolant sensor? wrong one from autozone?

Ripper

On my "new to me" SC the temp gauge moves but never comes off of cold, it has good heat so I figure I would pick up the sensor.

I looked it up on the internet at autozone and went down there to pick it up. Says part # su201...

I thought for sure the coolant temp sensor was the sensor with a single wire at the coolant bleeder. does anyone know where this one might go??

Hopefully this post works.. 4 others went into never never land or said I already posted the damn pic..

Attachments

• tempsensor1.jpg
    tempsensor1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 260
There are two coolant sensors. 1 feeds the EEC, the other feeds the guage. One is to the right of the SC snout, and one to the left. I'm not sure which one does what.

Don't have pictures to show it.

The one you have in the pic is the one that sends info to the EEC. It's on the left side of the motor right by the DIS. The one with the single wire goes to the gauge.
Hope that helps.

Damn, thats the one I need, its all corroded up and the wire wont even come off. LOL

Any idea what to ask for?? I will keep getting the wrong one?? I guess this might be called coolant temp sender unit.. maybe

I would be asking for the coolant gauge sensor. You might need to try ford for this if you can not get the right one.
The look up should have both.

Ripper said:
Damn, thats the one I need, its all corroded up and the wire wont even come off. LOL
That be the one. I had to cut the wire, pry what was left of the clamp off and toss it. I then used a plain old crip on type inline butt connector, which I think was 12G, and crimped one end onto what was left of the wire, and the other I pushed onto the stud. Not my best work, but it seems to be moving the needle :rolleyes:
Yes your picture is for the EECs ECT sensor, not the guage sender unit.

you might as well put the EEC one in since it's geting old and my not be working as well as it should.

check your t-stat

I have the same deal on my 89. Does your gage read in the normal when you are in traffic? Does it take a long time to warm up? Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, or possibly the previous owner removed it as a poor attempt to cool down the normal operating temp (never done that myself, naahhhh....). I also have good heat but the engine does not get to normal temp at highway speeds. Note- back me up here fellas, I believe the coolant temp sensor (for the EEC) varies from year to year, so make sure the radiator fan is working properly. When I went to autozone they said it wasnt available. I went to FORD and they needed the original sensor to be sure I got the right one. good luck. JJ

Just FYI, the temp. gauge sender is Ford # F1SZ-10884-A, Motorcraft SW-2328.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

that picture is of a coolant temp SENSOR ( for the computer). what you are looking for is the Temp SENDER (not senSor)....for the gauge.........

Thanks guys! Lots of info

My car seems to get up to normal temp pretty good and gets heat quick, also being the wire is pretty corroded and generally bad look at the sender unit its gotta be it.

Also the check gages lite flashes, noticed in the schematic it looks at the temp when lighting the lite. Im thinking it lights since it nevers comes off cold its telling me it doesnt think its right.. IE "really" check the gages.. hehe

Back