Starter problem!

Rob91

Starter problem!
Since I bought the car last summer I have had the problem that now and then (maybe once a week) the starter refuses to stop when I have started the engine.
To try to make it stop, I usually turn the ignition on and off several times (while the starter is continuously running..) and I have even removed the key. Nothing seems to stop the starter from turning. In desperation I have also engaged 1st gear and let the clutch out (while holding the brakes) to make it stop –and it does- until I disengage the clutch…and at this time the alarm goes off.
Usually the starter stop by it self after 10-30 sec, but this morning it didn’t. While the starter was turning I got out of the car, opened the hood and pulled the ‘control current’ wire from the starter relay: no reaction, the starter was still turning but eventually stopped 10 sec later (it had now been running for about 2 min).
It usually happens when the engine is cold, but it has occurred a few times with the engine at (or close to) running temp. I replaced the starter relay 2-3 months ago, I felt it helped, but it didn’t eliminate the problem, and now it is as bad as it was before. I’m running out of ideas of what’s causing this. I’m thinking of replacing the wire between the starter and relay -would that help?

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rob

I had a buddy with this same problem in an explorer, only his starter was new and had this problem.
but i agree and think that you may have to replace the starter

I wonder if it's your ignition switch, not disengaging when you turn back the key or even some melted insulation causing the current to bridge the switch. Pull off the trim at the back of the steering wheel and take a look. I don't think the switch that holds the key cylinder is that expensive. I remember changing mine some years back on my '93, because the opposite happened - I couldn't engage the starter every time I turned the key. The starter was ok, the key cylinder/switch was broken inside.

most likely the relay next to the battery..... it's stuck and putting power to the starter even when you turn off the key. This is a very common thing for all fords, not just the SC.... i remember the same thing happening on my 66 galaxie i had when i was 16, and on my 73 cougar.....and my 90 bronco........and my 90 sc.......just get a new starter relay, should be $10 to $15 at any parts store.

It’s the starter. I figured out the solenoid on the starter is also acting as a relay, and the fault is in the starter (solenoid) somewhere. As a temporary solution, I put both wires going from the relay to the starter onto the same ‘pole’ on the starter relay (the relay next to the battery). Now it shuts down when I turn the ignition off –and that’s a good thing! –but the starter is a bit slow (5 sec) to disengage. I will get a new starter and put the wires (on the relay) back where they are supposed to –don’t like to run all the current trough the relay, although I believe it is dimensioned for it.
In addition I have installed a main switch on the positive battery cable so I can kill it if necessary. :D

Thanks,
Rob

Back