Ball joint question...

b00stedv6biRd

Ok my driver's side front upper ball joint squeeks when I turn the wheels and when I hit a bump. I checked it out and the ball joint itself is still in awesome shape. But the little rubber piece that keeps dirt out is shreaded. Is there some way I can get just replace that piece without getting a whole new ball joint? If so does anyone have a part number?

All help is appreciated

-Duane

Actually, to my understanding, you can't even get the upper ball joints at all. I'm completely re-doing my front suspension right now and am forced to get the upper control arms in order to replace the ball joints. If you do find them somewhere, let me know as I'll get them too. But as I understand it, you have to get the whole upper control arm.

Wow really? I haven't looked into getting one yet I wanted to see if I could replace that part just by itself. Where all have you looked for the ball joint at? I'll do some calling around and stuff maybe I can find one. I'll let you know..

Its less work to replace the whole arm, I've replaced the uppers on 2 of my cars and it cost about $100.cdn each (aftermarket) and 3 bolts and you don't need a press. Good luck

You name it, I've looked. I've got the lower ball joints, complete poly bushing kits, found the lower control arm to shock mount bushings (moog is the only manufacturer). I'll have to get new upper control arms. I've also got a new rack and pinion, outer tie rod ends and am upgrading to the '93 and up spindles with Mark VIII brakes. So I've looked for it all. And the upper control arm ball joints are not available at this point in time. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

And from what I understand, replacing the upper ball joints are a PITA to do when the engine is still in. I don't know what the validity of the comment is yet, but will know soon enough.

I find the uppers to be pretty easy, about 30min each start to finish. I hold the bolt in the engine bay and unbolt from the wheel well. I do like to use a new bolt where it attaches to the spindle, some that I've bought came with it but some don't. Good luck

Back