Lower ball joints...

XR7Kurt

I'm going to start replacing mine in a few minutes. Any words of wisdom? I will be using the ball joint press from autozone.

Thanks,
Kurt

P.S. I think I skipped right by hyjacking a thread, I've hyjacked an entire forum! Or am I post whoring?:confused:

That shouldn't be to bad Kurt, as long as you car isn't from up north you won't have to cut everything off like I did...

RJ

Has anyone used the press to remove/install the lower ball joints while the control arm is still installed. I can't seem to make it fit. It looks like it will work for installation with a little bending of the dust shield, but the removal doesn't look like it will work at all. Any help will be appreciated. I'm giving it up for tonight.

Thanks,
Kurt

XR7Kurt said:
Has anyone used the press to remove/install the lower ball joints while the control arm is still installed. I can't seem to make it fit. It looks like it will work for installation with a little bending of the dust shield, but the removal doesn't look like it will work at all. Any help will be appreciated. I'm giving it up for tonight.

Thanks,
Kurt

I had my lower control arm out when mine got done Kurt, I just had the shop that was doing my bushings do the ball joints too, since he screwed one of them up anyway...

RJ

Hey Kurt,
I had the same problem with my ball joint press and the clearance, I think that the only way to use the press is to remove the control arm and do the work at a workbench. I attempted the balljoint job a few months ago and gave up for that reason as well, I was actually going to do mine today and tomorrow because I have off work but it raining out :rolleyes: Let me know what's involved, I'm also doing my tie rods while I'm down there as well.
Good luck,
Greg Roll

From my post in the tech. forum I'm gathering that it's just not worth trying to use the hand press even with the control arm out. I really only wanted to put the money out for the ball joints at this time, but I'm rethinking that at this point since I need to pull the control arms.

Will I be able to return the ball joints to Autozone even if I opened the plastic bag they come in? I'm guessing I can.

Kurt

Hey Kurt,
You should have no problem returning the parts, as long as you have the box in pretty good shape they will most likely take it back, even if you've lost the reciept they can find the proof of purchase in your warranty file and give you a refund.
I think I'm going to hold off on doing my ball joints untill I can get new control arm bushings and such to replace all at once so I wont have to redo it later when I want to replace thoes.
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

That's good to know, everything is perfect, I just took the ball joints out of the bag to see how the press was going to fit. I'm leaning towards getting complete control arm assemblies now.

Kurt

Kurt,
Do you know about how much the whole assembley costs? and where you might get them, that might be a potential option for me as well.
Thanks,
Greg Roll

From what I've seen in old posts they're around $100 each. I'm going to call for actual prices tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,
I'm intrested in this idea, do let me know what you find out and where you get them from.
Thanks again,
Greg Roll

Here's list and your price from McCarville Ford-I would check with Dan at Cooper Ford to see what he has:

CONTROL ARM, w/o Supercharger, Right 93-94 $116.73 $93.38

CONTROL ARM, w/o Supercharger, Left 93-94 $116.73 $93.38

CONTROL ARM, w/Supercharger, Right 92-93 $132.52 $106.02

CONTROL ARM, w/Supercharger, Left 92-93 $132.52 $106.02

I talked to Max at Five Star Ford, he gave me a price of $99.39 each with approx. $15 shipping to South Carolina.

I'm going to call the Merc dealer in Ocala tomorrow. The guy there gave me a great deal on my Cougar centercaps, but he wanted to get rid of those so who knows on the control arms.

Kurt

Thanks for posting that Kurt,
That's not a bad price for the whole assembly, that's good to know that they are available, I may take my ball joints back and just replace the whole thing when I get some cash. It would be nice to have a whole new control arm.
Thanks again,
Greg Roll

Back