where to start (brakes)

maxim123

I no longer have power assist... where should i start? the brake lights are on, it has fluid, i think it was a progressive problem cause my brake lights would come on if i hit the brakes suddenly?

sounds like ur brake accumulator ( a black round thingy by the brake master cylinder) U can get one from Ford or an aftermarket. Someone else will tell you where u can get it aftermarket I forgot the name of the company.

: just performed a little search.

go up at the top of the page, click search, type in " brakes " and select the technical forem and click submit. theres alot of posts about brakes. There are even a few with procedures on fixing that brake accumulator. Its not too difficult.

hope that helps
walter

I let my accumulator go to long, andburned up my ABS Pump Motor. Lucky I'll be, if my junkyard unit will work. Ordered a new accumulator from www.priorreman.com they are like $99.95 + shipping. Hope mine shows up by Friday...If you call them, ask for Rick Fletcher...

An accumulator would explain the problems you had prior to the complete failure.

But start with the complete failure. There is a relay on the passenger side of the firewall that controls the ABS pump. It may have burned out or otherwise failed. I believe the relay is brown.

If that fixes it, you still need to get your accumulator replaced. Without that storing the hydraulic energy, your hydraulic pump must run much more often and for longer periods than it was designed. This burns out the pump eventually.

on mine the brushes in the pump motor wore out accumulator was ok i got a used motor from a lincoln,the pump on the lincoln has a smaller hole wouldnt work without an adapter in the line, so i just used the motor . i had to let it sit all nite after i put it together before it worked it took that long for the master cylinder reservor to fill the pump i did no other bleeding

Last edited:
update

Beats all things logical in my life but the relay was the problem. swapped it out and now have power brakes, so now on to other issues.

i know that i need an new line/ brake pressure sensor, priced years ago as a dealer only item like $149. so i plugged it to stop the leak and forgot about it. anyone know where to find one cheaper? its located on the driver side low on the frame rail, by or on the proportion valve..

next will be accumalator replacement.

Back