N/A t-bird AOD -vs- SC AOD????

LightY3arZ

Alright, so the time is quickly approaching when I will need to either rebuild, or replace my AOD, and I am leaning towards replacing the AOD.

Now, I stayed up last night till about 6:30 this morning searching SCCOA, and TCCOA for answers to my questions but I am still a little foggy on some things.

What I know: The AOD in our cars is beefier than that of ones put in mustangs and other cars (wider overdrive band, etc.), however a mustang aod will bolt right up.

I know there are differences in the AOD's put in SC, and non SC t-birds/cougars. But what I cant find is any hard information on what those differences are. If I buy an AOD from an N/A Thunderbird, would it be able to handle the torque that our cars produce, provided I add a shift kit and aftermarket transmission cooler?

If not, would it be feasible that I could upgrade an N/A AOD to SC specs before installation, given that I am on a budget of about 5-700 doolars for the entire project. If this is possible, what would I have to do specifically(sp?), and what type of money would I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,
-Derek

I know from reading previous posts on this same subject that the AOD from an N/A will not with stand the HP and Torque from the SC engine. So I doubt modifications like a shift kit and tranny cooler will grant you much help...however they will only delay the break down of the AOD.

I would think you could get a SC AOD from a junk yard for under your budget...and if my memory serves me right, Advanced Auto has Re-manufactured AODs with a 5 Year warranty for only $800.

Hope I've helped...I know that if you do some searching you will find the differences in the to transmissions.

-Tim

Tim,
Yah, I spent about ten hours last night searching but didnt have much luck. I have an understanding of the differences between the n/a aod from non thunderbirds, but i am curious as to whether or not there are differences between the N/a aod's in mustangs and n/a thunderbirds.

Unfortunately, finding a junked SC in my neck of the woods has not been very fruitful.

Yes but that would be a bit more work than what I am capable of, or able to afford to have done I beleive. Switching to the 4r70w, would mean having to change to an electronically controlled transmission, and having to convert my wiring harness and ecu, right?

For get the 4r70w I wouldnt even try that on a pre 94 car. The aod in our cars have more frictions and steels or bigger clutch packs. I rebuilt the one in our 93 but I cant tell you what else may be differnt. Maybe out put shaft, valve body. Best bet if you cant rebuild your self is remove trans and take it to trans shop you trust. Be sure to tell them you need this one rebuilt. Some will hand you a rebuilt aod from a na 6. Wont last long.

scbird1:

Yah thats what I figured as far as the 4r70w into mine.

nana:

by 4r70w internals into an AOD case, would you happen to know which peices specifically? did you just swap out the gears/clutch packs less the ones that you didnt need? swap valvebodies?
What type of money did that run you?

To everyone: Does anyone know if their are differences between the n/a thunderbird AOD, and AOD's from mustangs/ford cars other than the sc? Right now I can get a good deal on an aod from an n/a t-bird shipped to me, but I could also get an aod from a mustang with less miles locally.

Is there anyone here who has actually put an n/a aod on their SC, whom could give me more of a precise idea of what I would be getting into if I chose to go this route? I understand that its not the best idea, but if an n/a could last me a year or two then it would probably be worth it to me to put one in since I do not have enough funds for a full on rebuild at this time. However, obviously I would not put one in if I knew it would only last a few months.
Thanks to all! :cool:

Derek,search "thunderbird sc" and"thunderbird supercoupe' on ebay motors,there are a couple of aod's listed for auction.
z

Well it would be a royal pain in the *** to write down a parts list that you would need to convert the NA or any other AOD tranny to SC specs. You will not come out cheaper taking that route. The best thing for you to do is have your SC tranny rebuilt by a good shop and have them stuff the clutchpaks with the max amount of clutch plates, install rubber clad 2-3 shift accumulator.
You could build a very stout AOD for less money than your budget if you knew how to build one and did all the work yourself.

hey... anyone know the CAST NUMBER on the AOD from a SC. I remember my TRANNY MECHANIC told me that the tranny he rebuild for me wasnt for an SC it was for a NA. I also remember some loser here in this site told me that there wasnt a difference between a SC and a NON SC tranny. I remember my mechanic told me that the SC has way stronger parts inside to take all the torque. If this is the case then i will go to the JUNK YARD and get an SC tranny. I believe the number on my tranny is 57. Something like that. If my tranny isnt for an SC then i have officially burnt in less than 6 months. If my tranny isnt for an SC then i have 2 NA trannys for sale. Someone wanna let me know.

My tranny case # is 53 and the tailshaft housing is # 23. That is a factory original tranny in this car and it is a 90 model.........at least the castings are.;)

Z:
I saw that you tried to pm me earlier, but all I got was the qoute of the pm i sent you:confused: thanks, Im checking e-bay now!

MIKE 38sc:

This is more like it, useful info!! So I'll scratch the n/a aod idea, problem is I dont trust any of the shops around here to not try and take advantage of me considering my age, and lack of knowledge. (I am learning however by studying my arse off, and by the help of other SCCOA members such as yourself) What other components should I consider in order to build a "stout" aod? I dont plan on ever running with the big boys, but I do plan to modify down the road so I guess my main concern is building one that will LAST.

Darkstar one:
Sorry to hear that man....this is why I am skittish about taking mine in to a shop.

Main diffs are one less friction/steel in direct and OD clutch packs and pressures in the line.

Here's what I'm doing with my original AOD once I install the one I'm buying from scbird1-

2" OD upgrade-kevlar band
Mechanical Diode
upgraded clutch packs-alto red eagle
AOD wide-ratio kit from FRPP
A+ OD servo with o-ringed piston rod
Sonnax valvebody internals
Lentech Hardened input
2400-2600 stall tc

are you talking the differences between an n/a thunderbird aod, and mustang aod......or the differencs between an n/a aod aod and SC aod?

What type of prices are those components, and how much is that running you altogether? (if you dont mind my asking)

I think the kevlar band, and lentech hardned input would be overkill for my application, but I am not sure about the other components.

Those are the diffs between a NA V6 AOD and the SC/V8 AOD.

Send me an email with parts prices in the subject line-I'll put together a complete list of what I'm doing, and the prices.

Back