Windshield Moulding Removal?

Thomas A

I was wondering if anyone had some good directions or tips on how to remove both the top and two side mouldings around the windshield. The search feature and my Ford manual weren't much help to me. Thanks.

Thomas

Yah me too.

The funniest thing just happened. When I started to post, I looked behind me for my new windsheild (Can't leave it in the garage it might get dameged) it was gone. It's not a real big room? Where the hell could it be? How could I lose a whole windsheild?

Guess my wife moved it to the spare bedroom.

Jeff

Thomas you have to open the doors on the car and remove the rubber door seals that run around the the top of the door opening. Once you have done this you will be able to see the pop rivets that hold on the side mouldings, these mouldings also run across the roof of the car. You have to drill the rivets out to remove the side mouldings. Once you have the side mouldings off you can then remove the top moulding and its held on with springclips. You take a moulding remouvale tool( flat piece of steel with a hook on one end and a handle on the other) and work it carefully between the glass and the moulding. Once you get the toll in there slide it all the way towards the top edge of the moulding and slip the toll around feeling for the clips. When you feel the clips you work the tool until you catch it on the clip then you spring the clip open gently while gently pulling up on the moulding until the clip releases the molding. Repeat this all the way across the windsheild until all the clips are released.
I have my mouldings off right now Thomas so if it would help you I can take pics of everything and give you measurements across the windsheild to each clip so you'll know right where they are and you wont have to do so much fishing to find them.
Let me know and I'll take them and post them in the morning.

Do the side moldings have to come off to get the top molding off? I want to just replace the top molding on the windshield and rear windshield. Where can I get this removal tool?

Yes you have to take the side mouldings off first. You can get the clip tool from most parts stores and for sure at the body shop supply houses, seems like its less than $5.00 for the tool.

Mike, when I have my windshield replaced, do you think I could just give the new molding to the guy to put on. They have to take the old off anyhow, right? Do you think they would do the back top molding too if I paid extra? Sorry to hijack this thread.

Sure just give them the new moulding and they will install it instead of the old one. They can also change the rear moulding as well, no problem.:)

sorry to hijack your thread but where can i get some new molding for my bird front and back. The rubber is peeling away and exposing some old metal. Dont imagine ford still has any. Can do junkyards but they wont be "new". Where you guys get yours? Thanks for all help guys. Zach

Do a search, it was discussed on here not to long ago. You will find part numbers. Then you can go to one of the many Ford OEM websites and type in the part number and it comes up. They are around $28 a piece. (Front upper and rear upper)

I'll probably just pop rivet them back on myself. You might be able to use small screws but I'm not sure as the rubber door seal is in close proxcimity to it.
I'll take a look at it later and post what I find tonight.

i replaced my top molding on both front and back and did not remove the side moldeing. i just was careful in (tucking) the molding under the side molding on each side and then making sure that the clips popped into place. i used 3" spakle knife and worked it under the molding and gently lifted up till the clip freed.

Back