9.5" convertor with Stock SC ???

Shockwave

I want to order a Art Carr Street/ Strip AOD transmission Lock-Up
and supercoupeperformance is giving free torque convertors.

If I order the

"Art Carr 9.5" Heavy Duty Lockup Street Converter
2200-3200 rpm stall lockup type for the '89 to '93 AOD Automatic Transmission. Custom built to suite your needs. You specify the stall speed!
This converter retains the factory lock up feature and is a superior choice for those wanting to gain all the benefits of a quality converter but do not wish to rebuild their transmission and go to the solid input shaft.

This Heavy Duty unit is awesome for stock cars to those modified up to 400 HP. This converter has a much higher torque multiplication factor than your stock converter, therefore it will seem as though your car has picked up 40 to 60 HP. It is typical that a properly specified torque converter like this one will reduce quarter mile times by .4 to .6 seconds!! If you are looking for an effective way to dramatically improve performance while keeping your engine stock, then look no further."

can I get this in a 2200 stall or lower? This will go in a stock SC. If you get a free torque convertor might as well get a $685 dollar one. Will I be happy with a 9.5" convertor? I beieve this convertor comes with the Art Carr Street Max. If this convertor wouldn't be recommended what do you suggest?

Thanks
Jerry

Jerry,

I don't think they can stall a 9.5" convertor on a 4000 lb car any lower than 2500-2600. They generally have to go up to a 10" to get a 2200 stall.

I would suggest calling Art Carr and talking to them about your application before buying.

David

Well Art Carr and Bill Evanoff both recommended the 9.5" convertor. Art Carr recommended the non-lockup, but the car is a daily driver and will be very close to stock with limited or no drag racing. I ordered the Street/Strip version for $1450, 2" OD band, Mechanical Diode, and direct clutch pack with 8 clutches. This is the lock up version. I am getting the 9.5" lockup convertor. It will probably stall at 2300-24000 rpm. The convertor is free right now at Super Coupe Performance on any complete Art Carr transmission.

If this convertor is worth what they normally charge then it's worth getting. You can always get a 11 or 12 inch convertor with a stock stall if this doesn't work out. Nothing like dropping the tranny every weekend :)

Should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

I will report back after it's installed.

Thanks

Jerry

Thats not a bad price with a mechanical diode and a converter..Is this for a 93 and under AOD?...If so the reson ART CARR reccomended non lock up is because of the inner shaft snapping..Ive snapped stock and hardened alike with not so much power but a hard shifting tranny..Having a non lockup didnt bother me so much though

Last edited:
Yes It's for 89-93 AOD. This one will go in a 1990 SC. You can get the extreme for $400 more and it's the same except non-lockup.

This 90 SC is on it's thrid tranny. The first had burnt up direct clutch pack, the next had snap ring failure on the sprag, and the one in there now slips in first and second. This tranny has all the fixes for the above failures. I haven't snapped andy shafts yet.

Jerry

Slips in first and second is odd..Usually when a problem is happening your OD is first to go..Perhaps you hav ea Valve body problem or another snap ring failure...I had my snap ring tac welded because I kept messin it up...Anyway 9 inch is to small Id say 10 or 11..Smaller the converter the more it will heat up during street use..Not untill you get an extremely hard shifting tranny will the inner shaft snap

Jerry, the Extreme has more to it then just the non-lockup. That is why I went with the Extreme as for only $400 more I got more. Better servo, and other parts in there. As you stated though it will be going in a mostly stock SC so you'll be fine. Allan at Art Carr was very helpful. Jerome

Last edited:
Actually Allan was the guy I talked to at Art Carr. He recommneded the 9.5 " as they have a nice way to build it for the SC. The way I look at it is that the convertor wont heat up the fluid in 3rd and 4th so it shouldn't be a problem. I always thought high stall convertors were a problem on the street or highway use do to slipping all the time.

Here is what i wanted in a AOD:

Mechanical diode
2" OD band
More clutches in the direct drum
shift kit

I didn't care about:

wide ratio gearset
A+ servo (if I had 2" band)
or race clutches

I was looking real hard at the AODominator as it has it all, but $2100 is not chump change.

From Super Coupe Performance:

Convertor

"Art Carr 9.5" Heavy Duty Lockup Street Converter
2200-3200 rpm stall lockup type for the '89 to '93 AOD Automatic Transmission. Custom built to suite your needs. You specify the stall speed!
This converter retains the factory lock up feature and is a superior choice for those wanting to gain all the benefits of a quality converter but do not wish to rebuild their transmission and go to the solid input shaft.

This Heavy Duty unit is awesome for stock cars to those modified up to 400 HP. This converter has a much higher torque multiplication factor than your stock converter, therefore it will seem as though your car has picked up 40 to 60 HP. It is typical that a properly specified torque converter like this one will reduce quarter mile times by .4 to .6 seconds!! If you are looking for an effective way to dramatically improve performance while keeping your engine stock, then look no further.
"

AOD

"Art Carr STREET / STRIP AOD Transmission
A COMPLETE brand new drop-in Transmission for the '89 to '93 Thunderbirds and Cougars. No core required.
Art Carr quality and reliability at an unbelievable price. This NEW AOD tranny is for those Thunderbird and Cougar owners who have engines that are still stock or have several bolt-ons.
Why have a local shop attempt to rebuild your transmission and screw it up when you can get a NEW High Performance Art Carr AOD for the same price. This transmission retains the factory lockup torque converter feature.

Includes the mechanical diode sprag, upgraded 2" OD band, 8-pack direct drum, their valve body shift improver for better fluid flow and firmer shifts, premium clutch packs, and all the other high performance goodies Art Carr is known and respected for.
"

Jerry

Jerry,

It sounds like a pretty sweet deal..BTW, do you or anyone else reading this know if the Lentech VB is compatible with the Art Carr transmissions ?

David

BTW, do you or anyone else reading this know if the Lentech VB is compatible with the Art Carr transmissions ?
Thanks for asking Dave. I hope so, since I'm pretty sure this is the route I'm planning on going. Especially since I already have the Lentech VB.

Kurt,

I'm starting to lean in the same direction for the turbo car...I wonder if I shipped a Lentech VB to Art Carr if they would install it when building the tranny.

David

im gonna chime in on this, as much trouble as ive had getting it (finally picking it up tonight) i think i might have the answer for you for a tranny

on ebay

$850 buy it now and it has

lentech style VB
2" od band
wide ratio gear set
mech. diode
more clutches
1 year unlimited mileage warrenty

im getting it installed this weekend so ill let you know how it goes

i also am putting in a 1900-2300 lockup torque converter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=2463972056

Peter,

Answer for who ? Jerry already ordered the Art Carr.

BTW, You forgot to mention the part about ordering that transmission in December and it's just now arriving. You haven't installed it either. So you might want to wait on making those reccomendations until you actually know if it fits or works as advertised.

David

Last edited:
Allan was the guy I talked to at Art Carr. He recommneded the 9.5 " as they have a nice way to build it for the SC.
Yeah, they give you an extra 800-1000 rpm of stall speed FOR FREE! Which is nice if you want to stall at 3200rpm, not so nice if you really wanted 2400rpm...:rolleyes:

It sounds like they can't make a 9.5" stall low enough to me. Some of you guys with 9.5 convertor have close or even more than 400 torque, what do you think the stall would be on your car if you had a stock engine?

I can always sell this convertor or keep it for the future. I was prepared to pay $1450 without convertor last month so why not get an expensive convertor for free.

How much do you think a 9.5" lockup convertor is worth?

I could sell it and get a stock rebuilt convertor from a transmission shop. Do you guys think that's what I should so on this stock SC?

Thanks
Jerry

This tranny is not going into my 89 SC in the signiture by the way. It's going into a stock 1990 SC with no mods.

Jerry

David Neibert said:
Kurt,

I'm starting to lean in the same direction for the turbo car...I wonder if I shipped a Lentech VB to Art Carr if they would install it when building the tranny.

David
Dave,
According to Kurt K,

Quote:
I read somewhere that Art Carr will put in the Lentech valve body...Is that true??

Yes, Art Carr will (and has in the past) install a Lentech VB into one of their transmissions. I don't think they really like to do it, but Lentech does drop-ship to Art Car just for that reason.

Here's the full thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43597&page=3
Hope this helps.

At this point I'm not advocating any brand of trans. In fact, I'm in the position of having to rebuild\replace my AOD so I'm still doing the research to figure out my best course of action. Money is tight, so what I want and what I can afford are in separate universes at the moment.

Yes...and more recently Art Carr has also starting offering a revised shift pattern VB that is supposed to be very similar to the Lentech.

I ended up ordering a custom Lentech for the turbo car.

David

Back